EMG old vs. new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG old vs. new

I just did a search, and I did not see this subject covered, so here goes. I purchased my EMG 81 in 1988. My catalog from that era indicates the following:
    EMG81
    Resonant Freq=2.5KHz
    RMS Output Voltage=0.5volts
    Peak Output Voltage=2.0volts

The current catalog lists these specs:
    EMG81
    Resonant Freq=2.25KHz
    RMS Output Voltage=1.25volts
    Peal Output Voltage=3.55

Now, my thinking says these are two different pickups. Has anyone had experience with old and new EMG's back-to-back. Where's the Mojo?-old or new?

Good observation!

I am about to replace my EMG-81 circa 1992.

Anyone know if today's EMG81 is different from past EMG81's?
    [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

So far, I know of three visually different EMG styles...the oldest have brownish backside and no quick connect cable, then there are the ones that are black on the back and have no quick-connect cable (I have ones like this in my 1991 Jackson) and the newest with the black backside and quick-connect cable.

I've heard the ones with the brownish backside sound the best.

Comment

I've heard people who use EMG's all the time say the older ones are the best. Older meaning the brown back ones...

But that could be chalked up to "older is better" mentality. I've never A/Bed them...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

EMGs suck. Duncans rule.I thought everybody knew that

I don't know how the values that you have mentioned effect the sound , but I think that they might've tweaked the pickup a little bit, with the change in the sound of metal scene,during the years.
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

ive got an even old EMG with a white creme colored epoxy in the back

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              ive got an even old EMG with a white creme colored epoxy in the back
              And how does it sound compaired to a new one?
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I have a couple "brown backs", and a few "black backs" (some with and some without the QC system). Never noticed any real difference between them, but I never compared them directly either. And I don't use the 81s, period. When I do put some in a guitar, I use an EMG-85 at the bridge and an EMG-58 at the neck.

Comment

i actually dont have any new ones. all of the ones i have are the older style pre quick connect. i dont hear any real difference between the creme & black backed 81's i have. & i have to double check i may have a brown back one too.

Comment

Looks like they tweaked the freq a tiny bit and increased the output. No biggie.

Comment

I have old and new EMGs. Not a noticable difference between them tonally.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                        I've heard the ones with the brownish backside sound the best.
                        Maybe its my inner 12 year old, but that just sounds funny
                        I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Funny, just caught this thread, I'm ripping EMGs out of my guitars currently, and the 1st one I pulled out (installed circa-1990) I just looked and it's a black back. I've got one more 81 to go in an older guitar, will be interesting to see which type that one is...(the other one is an 89, and I'm pretty sure I remember it being a black back, no quick connect...built that one in '96).....

And they're being replaced with Duncans, btw....funny, used to use Duncan humbuckers as a teen, joined a metal band in '90, switched to EMGs...now changing back....it's coming back full circle....

I couldn't really tell a difference in the two 81s though, except one was in a shitty sounding guitar anyway....lol

Comment

The only EMGs that have stuck around in my arsenal are a 81/85 pair that have black bottoms and no quick connect, they sound the best of all of the many EMGs I have owned.

Comment

Working...
                            X