To shim or not to shim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To shim or not to shim...

I just acquired a Squier Icehouse strat. Pretty cool guitar. It has an Icehouse Brewery graphic and is SSS with no pickguard. Anyway, the action is really high, no big deal, I just adjusted the bridge. Weeelllll....the saddlles are way too low, the little adjustment pins are sticking up so high that they dig into your palm while playing. It also puts the ball-end of the strings at a very extreme angle. I realize this is a cheap guitar...what should I do? If I were to shim the neck, would I just put something under the rear of the neck to angle the neck...or shim the entire area? And what should I use? I hope all that makes sense, and thanks in advance for the help. Oh, it's a hardtail.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Take a business card and cut it a small strip to fit in the neck pocket closest to the body. Add strips as needed.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

+1 on the business cards.
      Changing the neck angle will allow you to raise the saddles for a more comfortable feel.
      -Rick

Comment

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I was thinking...but what about the gap? I mean, I'm thinking it's gonna be alot of strips, lol. I'm gonna hafta to raise the back up quite a bit. Is the gap just gonna be a necessary ugly?
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I think you'll be surprised at how little you will need to raise it.
          But yes, the gap is a necessary evil.
          -Rick

Comment

When I mounted a Tele neck on my Model 1 it fretted out in the middle. I loosened the screws and jammed a guitar pick down from the top. Problem solved. But there's quite a gap and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              I think you'll be surprised at how little you will need to raise it.
              But yes, the gap is a necessary evil.
              +1 A little does a lot. You may not notice much of a gap.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
              X