StewMac's Golden Age pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StewMac's Golden Age pups

I thought I'd read about them here, but can't find any old threads.

Looking for a classic, not face melting, pickup: like a 57 Classic or Classic Plus, only without the price tag.

Anybody use StewMac's Golden Age pickups? Test driven them?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

GFS pickups also are cheap and get decent reviews. I like DiMarzio stuff personally - their humbuckers are only like $60 each which is not bad compared to the Gibsons.

Comment

Thanks, Troy - GFS looks perfect. I've always been a Duncan or Gibson guy, for no particular reason other than I always got the sounds I wanted. I'm sure I could with DiMarzios, too.

I forgot how pricey the Gibsons are. I must have really found some great deals in the past, because I don't think I ever paid more than $50 for a pickup, and usually $30 - $40. Used, but in really good shape.

ANYWAY, thanks - I'd never heard of GFS, but I'm going to give them a try!
      Keith

Comment

IMO GFS aren't really worth it. For $15 more you can get a USA made Duncan, DiMarzio, used Gibson. Maybe if you can't absolutely afford that extra $30 for a set they are, but IMO they aren't any different than what you find in Epiphone, Agile, and cheap Ibanez.

Comment

Good point. $30 is only a good deal if I like the pickup. Maybe I'll just wait and watch for a deal on something used that I know I'll like.

I bought my last 57 Classic Plus for something like $45, so I just about shit myself when I saw that new they are a hundred+. Screw that.

Comment

Working...
          X