Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does No One liek the Gibby 500T/496R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does No One liek the Gibby 500T/496R?

Seriously, I think this is a great set. The 500T has a lot of punch and very precise EQ response. Screaming Highs and lots of mids, along with tight, heavy base response without the presence of a JB. A lot like a Duncan Distortion really, but not quite as harsh and with a bit brighter sound. The 496R is perfect for blues and rhythm parts, with a smooth tone and nice balanced EQ response that makes it good for tapping and even a bit of bluesy soloing. That said, are they just inconsistent? I tried an LP Classic with the same pickups and the 500T seemed a bit bland, almost neutered with the 496R sounding like something Epiphone makes. Are the pickups inconsistent, or are the guitars they are putting them inconsistent as well in terms of wood?

I'm not a fan of 500T's. They are a bit shrill to my ears. To me it seemed like they overwound the pickups just for output, nevermind the tone that went with them...

Course, I've only had them on 3 Classics. I don't like Slim 60's necks either so those didn't stick around long. So I may have a different opinion on them if they were in a all mahogany body...

I'm more of a 496R and a 498T guy, like they use to put on the Les Pauls. Dual 490's in the SG's sound pretty good too...

I think Gibsons biggest QC issues come with the Les Paul. It's much easier to find good SGs, Explorers and Vs than it is a Les Paul. Don't know why. Must be the maple...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
      I'm not a fan of 500T's. They are a bit shrill to my ears. To me it seemed like they overwound the pickups just for output, nevermind the tone that went with them...

Course, I've only had them on 3 Classics. I don't like Slim 60's necks either so those didn't stick around long. So I may have a different opinion on them if they were in a all mahogany body...

I'm more of a 496R and a 498T guy, like they use to put on the Les Pauls. Dual 490's in the SG's sound pretty good too...

I think Gibsons biggest QC issues come with the Les Paul. It's much easier to find good SGs, Explorers and Vs than it is a Les Paul. Don't know why. Must be the maple...
      That could be part of the problem, and because of that it really narrows what they work best in, taking into consideration the natural voicing of the wood as well as the volume of it.

I dig the 498T too. I have one in the neck of my DK2T. Very crunchy with a lot bite, and has that old school PAF sound. I should try it in my V sometime actually. I could never get the 490Rs. They always were totally bland to me. Very flat EQ range without a lot of harmonic response, but thats the side effect I think of them aiming for a jack-if-all-trades type pickup, much like the Ibanez Infinity Series.

I do agree with your sentiments on QC, but I wonder if thats just because there are more LPs than anything else, thus allowing the largest range of quality, and its perceived that a "good" one is harder to come by...

Comment

Are you kidding me, I LOVE the 500T. Great pickup.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Dunno what you're talking about. I love the hot ceramic set. Got 'em in three guitars.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I loved the 498/500 set I had in my Faded V. It was awesome.

Comment

500T is way too shrill in a L.P.standard IMO as are the 84 Shaw pickups.
              498 and 496 work well together.
              My fave in a standard are the 57's I know most cringe at that statement but the 57's are well suited to a maple top.
              Another trick to get more ooph from your pauls use longer TOM bridge studs.The stock studs are only into the maple top,longer studs go into the mahogony and this will make the guitar louder acousticly and you will feel more vibration from the body.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                500T is way too shrill in a L.P.standard IMO as are the 84 Shaw pickups.
                498 and 496 work well together.
                My fave in a standard are the 57's I know most cringe at that statement but the 57's are well suited to a maple top.
                Another trick to get more ooph from your pauls use longer TOM bridge studs.The stock studs are only into the maple top,longer studs go into the mahogony and this will make the guitar louder acousticly and you will feel more vibration from the body.
                Really? I've never been a fan of Classic 57's. Very stale, IMHO...

But what you've said about Shaw Pickups is flat wrong. Well, I think anyway. Since we are talking about tone, it's all subjective. But I think Shaws are the best pickups Gibson has ever produced. I've never heard actual 50's PAF's so those might be better. But the Shaws I have in my H80 and in my old ES335 were the most well ballenced pickups I've ever had...

They actually sounded better once I took the covers off the pickups. Gotta love they did them with Black/Creme bobbins...

Why do you call them "84 Shaws"? I've never heard them called that, just "Shaws"...

Have you seen what they go for on ebay? Unbelieveable...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I like them. Loved the 57 Classics in my SG, too.
                  The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I put a 498T/496R combo in a Performer Kelly body once. You wouldn't believe the beef that came out of that guitar, but it sounded like it wanted to kick your ass.

I have a 500T/496R in my LP Standard, which was my main live guitar when I had a band (just before switching to Jackson). The 500T always got a nice clear distorted tone for leads, and rhythms had plenty of punch. The 496 was great for cleans as well as bluesy leads.

The 500T works very well with a Tone knob and the Volume knob. Roll them around all you want and dial in every tone worth having.

Of course, you have to understand that running a high-output pickup through a high-gain amp setting defeats the purpose of having either one, and will result in a shrill tone. High-gain pickups are intended to be used with non-high-gain amp settings.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like '57 Classics the most, they are more similar to PAFs than the others
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The Shaws I like in the 80s studio L.P's because they didn't have a maple top.
                        I spoke with Mr. Shaw at the 2004 NAMM show and he was blown away with the Ebay prices too.
                        I had an 84 custom and an 84 studio both with Shaws and the studio kicked the customs ass in tone.I do agree the Shaws do sound better with out the covers.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had a 496R/500T in my 86 SG Standard. Very nice but I was used to the Duncan Distortion in the bridge and the 500T was a little thin for my taste in that guitar. The 496R in the neck is a monster though. The 490R that came in there stock was crap and I never used the neck pickup because of that.

Comment

Working...
                          X