How do you record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you record?

I want to start recording, like you guys here. How do you go about getting your guitar recorded onto the computer, and then posting it up on the forum here? I'm totally new to this, so explain in detail for a noob.

Re: How do you record?

i can tell you what i have done...i use cakewalk guitar trax pro, or you could use any other of the many virtual studios. i actually mic my amp and run the mike to my cpu, (1/8 inch mike input, you probably have one too).i should use guitar port or something instead of miking my amp, but for now thats it. then i upload to my account at onlinerock.com (like pretty much everyone else) and link up. accounts (pages) are free at this site, just register. others here can tell you different ways. good luck, i'm sure we'll be listening to you soon!

Comment

Mark

Thats good info..

What amp and geer are you using?

Have you tried or heard a pod?

Kevin
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

hi kevin
        i actually havn't tried a pod yet. a friend uses one to record direct to his dig. 8 track and he raves about it (i haven't heard the results yet). i have played through a line 6 amp, i guess it must sound similar to the various amp models on their combos? i want to start recording direct, miking my amp gives me a pretty raspy/buzzy sound. sh*tty amp doesn't help (15 watt crate [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) for guitars i have a fender strat plus (97), a jackson SL1, a prs ce24, and a charvel strat i bought new in 1984 (san dimas plate). the jackson is the most fun to play but i suppose the prs is really the best of the bunch.

Comment

Hey thanks, I went down to Radio Shack and got a 1/4" - 1/8" cord, and just waiting for a friend to send me a editing program. By the way I'm running a JCM 2000 DSL 50 through an old peavey standard 1970's 2x12. For guitars I'm playing a fake gibson (epiphone) LP-Custom, but shall be trying out a SL2H in the near future.

Comment

radio shack eh? are you a canuck? i wasn't sure if they had those in the u.s.. if you need recording software, go to kazaa, you'll find anything you could ever want. marhall dsl? wot's that? a valvestate thingy or a tube amp? sound like a nice rig you have there, epiphone does a good job.

Comment

DSL = Dual Super Lead, its got EL34 tubes in it *I think*, and yeah I'm a canucklehead .

Comment

Whats a good editing program to download?

Comment

I actually listened to your recordins many times. You had one with a noce opening sweep Yngwie like and I liked the tone. If thats from a 15 watt crate things are only going to get better for you.

I have to hunt down the 1/4" to 1/8" cable to record direct, any sources you know of?

Kevin
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter you can get at radio shack (do you have those stores?)for like $1.99. or if you buy a mike, they often will come with one. also i suppose circuit city or something. if you have listened to my recordings many times you are a glutton for punishment.they are sh*tty (musically and sonically) and i know it, but it's fun to post them anyway. nothing like some public humiliation eh? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] there are however, a lot of talented people posting on the board and i love hearing what they have come up with, it's always a surprise.

Comment

Hey Jon,

My little scoop in this business.... I started recording on my computer a while ago and I ended up concluding the following... it is good to use:

1) guitar tracks pro
                      2) a boss DR-5 for your backing tracks (easy to program and use, flexible too)
                      3) a decent sound card, I went an M-audio audiophile (2694 I believe).. it is awesome!
                      4) A small mixer.. I use a Behringer eurorack
                      5) A shure 57 to mike up your amp
                      6) way to go... the stuff will sound professional!, I promise

Comment

I just use a Pod 2.0, directly into my sound card input. From there I use Sound Diver to control teh POD and Cakewalk to record.

Seems to do the trick, although I tend to overload the sound card.

Comment

here you have a little sample of my stuff... it is crappy but it was the first thing I ever recorded.

http://www.geocities.com/rodrigo_echeverri/To_live.mp3

The effects processor is an rp-20, the guitar a Charvel 650XL, the pickups original jacksons (stock).

In this case I recorded direct into the mixer with no mic.

enjoy the crappiness...: [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 26, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Did anyone mention the Guitar Port yet?... I havent played with one but I heard really good things about them!... the whole thing seems like a good idea.

[ March 26, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

And yes we have Radio Shack in the U.S.
                              Do you guys in Canada get the commercials of Howie Shlong and that skank from Lois and Clark? Whatsername...Scary Hatcher? Talk about not aging gracefully - jeez, she looks halfway down the road to Bette Davis already.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X