Pawn Shop Find - J0663 - 1985 San Dimas Jackson Neck-Thru Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn Shop Find - J0663 - 1985 San Dimas Jackson Neck-Thru Bass

Was out of town yesterday with an afternoon to kill so I started hitting pawn shops. In one I hit the ol' San Dimas jackpot. I was looking at various POS guitars there, not paying any attention to the couple basses they had. There were a couple interesting Japanese C/J guitars priced just a bit too high. So as I turn around and head for the door, out of the corner of my eye I notice a neck-thru bass. I didn't think much off it at first, thinking it was a Japanese C/J model.

I asked the guy in the store to get the bass out and hand it to me. Once I got it in my hands I noticed the very small "Made in USA" under the Jackson logo so I knew immediately that it was a San Dimas custom. Next I look at the serial number and I find J0663. At that point I was trying not to crack a smile. This one is listed in Jackson's records(from Rob Witte's site) as a Concert Bass in White w/ Platinum which basically means pearl white. It has all active EMG's which I don't know if they were stock or not. It's in pretty nice shape with a few little dings, a few little scratches on the back, generally pretty nice.

I went ahead and picked it up since it was priced right. I really wish it would have been a Soloist instead of a Soloist style bass but what the hell. I'll probably just clean it up and eBay it. Any idea what this one is worth? I know my 6-string guitars but am clueless on basses.
    Last edited by guitarzan2; 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM.

Just put it up no reserve ya flipper
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Flip it my way.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        Just put it up no reserve ya flipper
        Yeah, I probably will. You'll see it soon enough. If it wasn't a bass I wouldn't even consider selling it.

No guess what it's worth?

Comment

What did you pay?P.M. me if you want
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Some Pics.

Comment

Even with the low #....About $650 to $750.

Jackson Basses just don't bring any money.
              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                Even with the low #....About $650 to $750.

Jackson Basses just don't bring any money.
                You're thinking pretty much exactly where I was. I was thinking $700.

Comment

Jackson basses are AWESOME.

I've never understood why they are not that popular and the low values for them.

Since they really didn't make all that many (when compared to Jackson guitars)...You'd think it would be the opposite and they would be more valuable and sought after.

Here's mine.

Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Wow ! That one is really cool. That's gotta be a $1000+ guitar.

Mine has the same EMG's in the neck position but it looks like an EMG 81 in the bridge. Is that possible? Do people do that or is it a bass pickup ?

Comment

my '84 sd bass and my 85 sd kelly have the emg set up like that. it is a bass pup as far as i know.
                      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                        Wow ! That one is really cool. That's gotta be a $1000+ guitar.

Mine has the same EMG's in the neck position but it looks like an EMG 81 in the bridge. Is that possible? Do people do that or is it a bass pickup ?
                        I paid much less!

It's not an EMG 81, the pickups are EMG's P&J set. It Originally had Jackson pickups...they were included when I got it.

I got this bass from former Jackson endorsee Kirk Scherer from the prog-metal band Prototype and he put the EMG's in it.

Sounds like THUNDER!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                          I have heard of using EMG guitar humbucker in basses, but I don't know if it's good or bad.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Lemmy hacked a humbucker route into his Ric 4001. You tell me how Motorhead sounds
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Time to play some Megadeth on that one!
                              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                              custom made Les Paul
                              VOX Tonelab LE
                              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                              ADA MP1
                              BBE 422A
                              Lexicon MPX-G2
                              ADA Microtube 100