Its time to strip the 750XL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its time to strip the 750XL!

After considering selling it, Ive decided to go a different way... its time to strip the paint off. It had a major paint blem by the bridge which really wasnt repairable... it looked like hell, and as the previous owner here stated when I got it, the guitar never sounded very good. Real muddy and overall lifeless tone.

So I started working on it tonight, taking all the parts off. Damn, Im spending WAY too much time workin on these things when I can take a strung guitar and have it bare in 12 minutes.

Anyway, as I was pulling out the trem post inserts, one of them took some paint off with it... HOLY SHIT! Now, Ive seen some thick paint... but the paint on this axe is a monsterous .035" thick! Apparently there is a VERY thick coat of what looks like a clear-ish grain filler. There is no primer!

Ive heard alot of talk about super thick paint killing the sound of a guitar, and I believe that this is a prime example. That, and this is the perfect way to prove what solid color 750's are really made out of. From what I can tell in the one pickup cavity that someone hacked a bit out of, the TOP is 3/4" mahogony... cant tell what the base wood is at this point. So anyway, on to the point of this thread...

How should I strip this? Keep in mind this is an archtop and Id like to avoid heavy sanding if at all possible to preserve the contours. Im going to try chemical stripper first, but I have a strange feeling that its not going to do a damn thing. Any input?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Try "breaking" the clear coat first with some 80 grit or even a cabinet scrapper.
    The go to the chemical stripper.
    -Rick

Comment

Autozone auto parts stores carry a product call aircraft stripper.This stuff works great and will not hurt the wood.
      Here is the technique I use I scuff it with 600 grit then pour the stripper on let it sit for a while it should bubble the finish pretty quickly use a plastic scraper to get most of the finish off the use sawdust to clean the rest of the finish and stripper off the body.Saw dust will not scratch the body.Be careful when using the plastic scraper and make sure not to gouge the body.
      Lighty sand then grain fill and so on.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Looking forward to some pics when it's stripped! The word on these has been that they all have maple tops, and the painted guitars were supposedly the ones where the flame didn't make the cut. It will be very interesting to see if it turns out to be all mah.

Comment

Rob, are you taking pics as you go along? You know what we want I'll keep an eye on your project too, it will be interesting. What's its serial, if you don't mind sharing that?

It wouldn't surprise me if it has NO maple top, but a full mahogany or basswood body instead. It will be interesting. Double bag for me
          Last edited by jackson1; 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

dana, would you look at that - we eat popcorn at the same speed
            Henrik

Comment

Be careful mixing stripper with guitars that have binding.
              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                Be careful mixing stripper with guitars that have binding.
                +1

Chemical stripper is by far the fastest way of removing paint, but trust me ... it WILL melt the binding right off your guitar.

By your description, it sounds like you may be dealing with a poly finish.
                I've never tried the "Aircraft Stripper" that straycat suggested, but I do know that regular paint stripper won't work on poly finishes.

I use Klean Strip.
                They make various strippers for different types of finishes.
                If what you have is in fact poly, READ THE CAN before purchasing it to make sure you've got the right one. If I remember correctly, I believe it's in a blue can.

Comment

another user of aircraft stripper here; it rules.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Aw come on, ya'll should know by now Ill be taking plenty of pics!

The guitar is not one solid piece... it does have a top... I just cant tell what the woods are yet. The SN is C900579... its in the gallery from the previous owner.

Im gonna head to the store to see if I cant find some stripper. Im almost positive its a poly finish. And I was thinking about the binding today... Ill be taking extra precautions by the binding, will probably do the neck mostly by hand. I may leave the headstock face on, but Im not 100% sure... The wood underneath will decide that.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Just got home from good ol' Home Depot. Came home with Klean-Strip KS-3 stripper. Works on paints, epoxy and poly, so well see! Gonna eat dinner then go out and try a spot. Also got some protective gear and misc plastic scrapers and brushes .

Comment

I find it fairly easy to strip a neck by scraping. Using new Stanley blades or pieces of clean cut glass. The back curve of the neck makes it easy and easy to control too.
                        Henrik

Comment

Well this stripper isnt working that great... if at all. Ive got a second heavy coat on my test spot, well see what happens. It is affecting the finish, but not all that much. Ugh, I can see where this is going.

Comment

Well... the stripper is useless. But, not to be outdone by a stupid chemical, I attacked it with a DA sander. I wanted to know what the wood was once and for all. Well, now I know........

The top, is maple. The rest of the guitar... well, Im not too sure... but Im sure about one thing... it is NOT Mahogany. Check the pics... what the hell is it then?

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              Well this stripper isnt working that great... if at all. Ive got a second heavy coat on my test spot, well see what happens. It is affecting the finish, but not all that much. Ugh, I can see where this is going.
                              This is the stuff I use ...

It's going to take some time.
                              Leave it on long enough for it to work .... I'd say 20-30 minutes.
                              Be patient ... you'll most likely have to apply it a couple times over, but it beats the hell out of sanding.

PS: I don't recommend using a sprayer ... it makes a helluva mess. Apply it with a brush.
                              Last edited by Model1VH2; 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X