Pickup Headscratcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Headscratcher

Hope you guys can help me with this one, cause it's just not making sense to me:

Picked up a Charvel Model 4, recently, from another JCF member. He didn't have it long to play, really. Anyway, the previous owner before him, swapped out the stock pickups for a set of generic active pickups: 1 hum, 2 stacked singles. However, this is what's happening, the hum, by itself sounds good, but, well, hums (ironic, isn't it?), the two SCs by themselves sound fine, any combination of humbucker and SC yields a much lower, thinner output, like there's a phasing issue. Each pickup consists of 3 conductors: a red battery lead, a hot lead, and a shield (the red lead is separate from the other two, in all three cases). the battery leads all go to the red lead off the battery, the hots all go to their respective mini-toggles, and the shields all go to ground, on the back of one of the three pots (which are all jumpered, together, so as to ground, together). Am I missing something, here? It's getting late, so maybe I'm having one of my famous brain-farts (Fra-a-a-a-p!!!)

I'm not Ron!

Check the solder joint of the ground wire for the humbucker.Also check the ground from the spring claw to the pot.Check the ground wire from the jack to the pot.
    Most humming issues are ground related.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Already did all that. There wasn't a ground wire to the Kahler unit, and thought that was it, but it didn't go away, when I wired one in. Still doesn't account for apparent phase issue. And the hum is only on the humbucker.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

For your phasing issue, does the humbucker need to be wired in reverse?

Comment

Tried that. Sounded weak, and almost muffled. First thing I thought of. Maybe the pickup is toast? Maybe a swap is in order. Seems like it is MUCH louder than the SCs. Had to really raise them, and lower the bucker, to help even out the differences.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'm pretty much at a loss, so since I am selling off my unfinished Green Meanie replica project, I'll take those funds and see about getting a new pickup, cause I gotta wonder if it's defective.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
            X