Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get any sound of Ableton.

Got a Line6 Toneport today.

Tried to record some stuff with Ableton. Finished recording but i cant play it back. In fact it plays back because i can see the signal on the level meter thing but there is no sound coming out of my speakers.

I am really pissed off. Anyone knows anything about this?
    If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

If you're seeing levels on the software meters, but not hearing the playback, you probably have the wrong driver selected in the Ableton preferences.

Comment

Thanks Aron.

I can record now and play it back but this time i have another problem.

When i start playing i can hear myself from the gearbox then i can hear myself through Ableton. Its like i have a delay on it when i record it.

Then when i turn the master volume down from Ableton it only records the sound coming out of gearbox and when i play it back its like i am using a killswitch. Sound come on, cuts out, comes on, cuts out.....

Do you have an idea about this one?
      If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Are you setting the output of the recording software to be the toneport and listening through the output jack on it? If so, I had a similar problem and will hazard a guess: increase the size of the buffer in the driver.

If you go to Line 6 -> Tools there's a driver option. Increase the buffer a couple of clicks with the drag tool and see if that stops your problem. Adding buffering increases latency (but I didn't find it noticeable) but enables the USB connection to work more fluidly when trying to move data both ways.

Incidentally, I hated the Live Lite that came with the toneport. Now I use audacity instead. I found it more intuitive to use and you're not limited to 4 tracks, etcetera. It is free:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I also found that using the free drum machine Hydrogen to generate simple rhythm tracks (export them as .wav and audacity will open them) was much, much more fun than playing against a click-track.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Comment

Is Gearbox a program that comes with the Toneport? Does it normally put out sound when you're not recording? If so, you will have to close Gearbox when you're recording, and let the recording app handle all sound in/out functions.

Set your Toneport as the Sound Input and your soundcard as the Sound Output.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Is Gearbox a program that comes with the Toneport? Does it normally put out sound when you're not recording? If so, you will have to close Gearbox when you're recording, and let the recording app handle all sound in/out functions.

Set your Toneport as the Sound Input and your soundcard as the Sound Output.
            Without Gearbox switched on, the Toneport is a just a box of flashing lights.

Gearbox is the software on your PC that runs the emulation hardware on the Toneport. To have the Toneport do anything, even to show up as an I/O device, Gearbox has to be running.

With Gearbox running before you start your recording software, a Line6 device shows up in the I/O options. My point is that you should probably use the Toneport for both Input and Output. However, when you do this, you may need to increase the size of the buffer on the device as clipping can occur due to a lack of USB bandwidth.

You can, of course, use Gearbox to give you input from the Toneport and then run the output to your computer's audio out, but that in itself can cause clipping due to thread scheduling issues.

Comment

Then if both Gearbox and the recording app are putting out sound at the same time, that's bad programming on someone's part.

You'll have to play around with Input Device settings in Ableton and/or Gearbox so one is not sending sound to the speakers when recording, or ditch the Toneport and get a standalone external preamp that runs into the soundcard's Line In.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Sound problems..

Line 6 products are designed with different uses in mind for recording..When the line 6 software is loaded, usb drivers etc, check the control panel for the line 6 configuration module. Most likely it is setup to use the line 6 device for the sound output. In other words, plug headphones into the line 6 device to hear what you recorded.

You can also configure in the same module to re-amp your sound which is cool, you record and can change the tone of your amp, patch etc when set to re-amp.

You can also test this by playing a .wav or .mp3 and see if that comes out of your speakers like normal, if not, most likely the sound output is set to the line6 device..

Comment

Originally posted by sgray View Post
                  In other words, plug headphones into the line 6 device to hear what you recorded.

Like I said: Bad Programming.

Sound should always be routed by the recording software and/or the default sound device's mixer so that everything goes through the speakers/soundcard by default. The default setting should never be changed to some external unit automatically.

Comment

Working...
                  X