Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My NAMM 2008 review Part 2

Danelectro
    While I'm not a fan of their guitars, they had one of the coolest (pun intended) booths. Their area was filled with these old school refrigerators painted in retro colors like seafoam green. The guy at the booth said they get most of them from Craigslist and send them to auto body painters to get them refurbed. I need a few of these for my garage.

BC Rich
    The BC Rich booth used to be an exciting place due to all the handmade guitars that one could actually play. Taking a cue from ESP, the custom guitars were all tied to their stands. What's the point of that? I think people actually want to play the damn things. And with BCR's reputation over the last few years of making hit or miss quality guitars, you'd think they'd want to show the world how the guitars play. Guess not. The handmades look nice (except for those awful Draco models) and to satisfy Rock of Love fans worldwide, they even had some handmade bolt-on ST type guitars on display. I know some BCR freak is going to correct me (no, it's an Assassin, no it's an ST9, no it's a Gunslinger, no it's an Ed Roman copy...) on the model names. The eagerly anticipated (except by me) Chuck Schuldiner Stealth models were on display (handmade and import). I guess they look nice, but I never really cared for the Stealth. The import BCRs were pretty nice overall. I couldn't find any finish or setup flaws on any of them. The new Gunslingers were nice, but I don't like thin necks they put on these. Most of the imports supposedly have jumbo frets but they were milled down so much they felt like mediums (or smaller). BCR FINALLY put Kahlers on the Kerry King import models and got the neck angle right for the Kahlers too. Overall, their import line is nice and consistent in terms of playability and construction but nothing really grabbed me as being really special or spectacular.

Carvin
    Like in previous years, the Carvins were very consistent and had some of the lowest, most consitent action of all the guitars I played at the show. They had a nice V220 on display that was painted in a light greenish metallic color which was very cool. The CT series were all cool, especially the tops and finishes. I really want a deep red quilt top CT. While I'm not too crazy about their new Les Paul type guitar shape, they played just as well as the rest of the guitars in the booth. I talked to a few of the staffers and congratulated them on building such nice instruments at affordable prices.

Schecter
    Like many of the companies displaying their wares, these guys had a ton of guitars that at first glance don't seem very different from each other. Schecter's import line seems to cover all the price points from cheap to midly pricey. However, they're all very nice players with thicker necks and good looking finishes. I don't think you can go wrong with these guitars. The components are for the most part name brand (Tone Pros, EMG, etc.) and they don't have a cheap feel to them. Their custom guitars were strapped to the wall (enough already!) and the finishes were pretty cool. The most impressive was a Strat shaped guitar with WWII fighter plane graphics in matte paint and actual rivets attached to the guitar. Chris Compston, who paints many of ESP's custom finishes is also doing some work for Schecter. The new Schecter V guitar is pretty impressive, as was a $549 Hellraiser bass that I played.

Ibanez
    As usual, the Ibanez booth was filled with a million variations of their version of a Strat type guitar. Their booth is always a bit overwhelming for me because of all the variations in models. The Iceman is now neck thru (I'm pretty sure it's not set neck anymore) but the neck profile is now the skinny type, as opposed to the high end Artist model, which has the thicker type neck found on my old school Destroyer and Rocket Roll II. The new Ibanez Les Paul style guitars had some nice tops on them. One of them had a quilt top in which the "valleys" of the quilt were actually milled into. At the front of the booth was a life size Silver Surver statue holding a Satriani guitar with the Surfing with the Alien graphic on the front of it.

Moser Custom Shop
    As usual, Neal and Co. showed an interesting range of instruments. The most bizarre had to be Neal's prototype Wraith semi-hollow jazz box. Perhaps the first pointy jazz box in history? Neal said he made it so when he goes to the lake and is strumming outside, he would hopefully be heard. He said he's not convinced it's any louder than a standard electric but it was worth a try. Also in attendance was the prototype for the MCS Les Paul style guitar, which Neal said is his backup guitar. Friggin thing weighed 9,000 pounds and the neck was like a telephone pole, but very playable. Yet another prototype, the Scimitar (like an Soloist with longer, pointier horns) was shown. If you like Kahlers, switches, and points, this was the place.

Caparison
    The Caparison booth was right next to the MCS booth and had only a few guitars on display. I asked one of the Japanese guys if James Murphy or anyone else was going to perform, and after a few seconds of translation between the Caparison guys, they said they had no idea. I didn't play the guitars but they looked pretty cool.

Michael Anthony
    On my way back to the Brubaker booth to meet some friends for lunch, I see Michael Anthony singing and there's only 2 people in line. As soon as I get in line, the booth handler says the singing is over. My wife showed the guy our baby daughter (who can resist a baby bribe?) and the guy said it was up to Michael whether he would stay or not. Fortunately, he let us snap some images of him and I got him to tell my buddy Ray (longtime VH fan) on videotape to fuck off!

ESP room
    I think the ESP room had an impressive showing. Even though ALL the guitars were strapped to the wall (can a brotha play a $150 LTD???), they sure looked purty. The real deal ESPs in the entry way had mostly graphic finishes (painted by Chris Compston, who was in the room for a bit) were stunning. The product lineup as usual is a bit confusing. I can't always tell which are the cheap guitars and which are the better or best guitars. However, across the board the fit and finish appears impeccable. I just wish I could actually handle one of the guitars.

Jackson/Charvel
    Deep in the Fender room were the Jackson and Charvel displays. The Charvels were all Stratheads (I think) and most had simple solid or simple graphic paintjobs. All the ones I played could have benefitted from a setup. I feel the action was too high across the board. How hard is it to set these things up? In fact, one of the Charvels with v-trem needed the neck shimmed because the saddles were almost bottomed out and the action was still high. Though I'm not in the market for a Charvel, I could not make a purchase decision based on the way these played. The Jackson display was divided among customs and imports. the Phil Demmell (Machine Head) V made it's debut. If it was string thru, I'd consider buying one. The paintjobs on the customs were pretty wild, the most impressive being a glow in the dark biomechanical skull graphc. Near the Charvel display I saw Grover Jackson talking to 2 guys. Grover was telling the guys he's a mechanic at heart and doesn't want to be the rock star or be a figurehead. He said he likes hands on work and was helping Jackson/Charvel with build procedures. I waited patiently then finally butted in (in a nice way) and asked if I could have a picture with him. He obliged and I told him a story of how in 1988 my mom's friend was a friend of his ex-wife. My mom went to LA to visit her friend, and they wound up having lunch with Grover's ex-wife then wound up at Grover's house and my mom brought me home a signed Jackson catalog. Grover laughed and said he remembered my mom's friend. I asked him if it's a good thing that Fender now owns Jackson. He said they're in a way better situation than they were with AMIC. He also said he's a gun for hire and he has various business interests and him and Jackson were benefitting from the relationship.

Schaller
    I needed a part, and Schaller hooked me up. Big props to them. I'm a customer for life!

Didn't see:
    Unfortunately I didn't get to see the US Masters, Rico Jr, or VHT booths.

one thing that i look forward to every namm is your reviews. they're always funny as hell (the gospel room cleaning harmonizer was hilarious), informative, and unbiased. thanks so much for these!

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks man. Not sure about the unbiased part though!

Comment

i hear ya. if nothing else, at least it doesn't really come through much. there were a few things that i've seen that have really caught my eye; the rr marshall, the new duncan hybrid pickups, and the return of the gunslinger (and it seems to be priced well) are pretty cool things in my book!

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the review.
          So there's already two of us who want a string-thru Demmel V!

Jackson, are you listening?
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

cool i have to go one of these years

Comment

Cool story! Thanks! Speaking of Danelectro's, I just bought a '59 DC Reissue. Great guitars for the money and better than the originals from way back when.
              Thanks again for the report. It's always neat to read them!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Awesome review...

Comment

yes, the reviews are a highlight here ....... but we seen to be missing the Dean girls review?
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Seems like this would be the best place to post some of my pics, as
                    they put the review in perspective. I especially (once again, i knew
                    this already) Liked the Bang for the buck that CARVIN did! Amazing that
                    they seem to offer Jackson CS quality for under $1900.00!

Here are some random pics...this first one was my favorite of the show...
                    ESP CS "angel over manhatten"... my pic does not do it justice!

Here is that Schector with the rivets..Ultra cool..but i have a feeling this one would go for $4K...which is
                    overpriced imo...if Schector could do this for say $1300.00.. im all over it !!

Dean Custom shop.. extremely cool!

Need an interesting display for your axes? Holds 3 outside...and probably 4 inside! :-)

Seems to be the JCF "darling" this time around...

Another killer ESP CS... Shouldnt "Shark Islands" guitarist have played this one?

My favorite FMIC just a tad over Mike Learns great "Mig"... Dan Lawrence "Red Baron"... Stunning in person!

Dont ever think those bass master luthier's cant kick FMIC/Gibsons ASS either! "Ritter"... sold for $9300.00...and worth twice that !!

Need transportation, but still want to let em know your a player? Vox AC 30 Scooter!

When the neighborhood kids come over to show you up, on "Guitar Hero"... let em know who's boss with the custom
                    shop "Air King"!

Last edited by Robert Burns; 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                      Danelectro
                      While I'm not a fan of their guitars, they had one of the coolest (pun intended) booths. Their area was filled with these old school refrigerators painted in retro colors like seafoam green. The guy at the booth said they get most of them from Craigslist and send them to auto body painters to get them refurbed. I need a few of these for my garage.

BC Rich
                      The BC Rich booth used to be an exciting place due to all the handmade guitars that one could actually play. Taking a cue from ESP, the custom guitars were all tied to their stands. What's the point of that? I think people actually want to play the damn things. And with BCR's reputation over the last few years of making hit or miss quality guitars, you'd think they'd want to show the world how the guitars play. Guess not. The handmades look nice (except for those awful Draco models) and to satisfy Rock of Love fans worldwide, they even had some handmade bolt-on ST type guitars on display. I know some BCR freak is going to correct me (no, it's an Assassin, no it's an ST9, no it's a Gunslinger, no it's an Ed Roman copy...) on the model names. The eagerly anticipated (except by me) Chuck Schuldiner Stealth models were on display (handmade and import). I guess they look nice, but I never really cared for the Stealth. The import BCRs were pretty nice overall. I couldn't find any finish or setup flaws on any of them. The new Gunslingers were nice, but I don't like thin necks they put on these. Most of the imports supposedly have jumbo frets but they were milled down so much they felt like mediums (or smaller). BCR FINALLY put Kahlers on the Kerry King import models and got the neck angle right for the Kahlers too. Overall, their import line is nice and consistent in terms of playability and construction but nothing really grabbed me as being really special or spectacular.

Carvin
                      Like in previous years, the Carvins were very consistent and had some of the lowest, most consitent action of all the guitars I played at the show. They had a nice V220 on display that was painted in a light greenish metallic color which was very cool. The CT series were all cool, especially the tops and finishes. I really want a deep red quilt top CT. While I'm not too crazy about their new Les Paul type guitar shape, they played just as well as the rest of the guitars in the booth. I talked to a few of the staffers and congratulated them on building such nice instruments at affordable prices.

Schecter
                      Like many of the companies displaying their wares, these guys had a ton of guitars that at first glance don't seem very different from each other. Schecter's import line seems to cover all the price points from cheap to midly pricey. However, they're all very nice players with thicker necks and good looking finishes. I don't think you can go wrong with these guitars. The components are for the most part name brand (Tone Pros, EMG, etc.) and they don't have a cheap feel to them. Their custom guitars were strapped to the wall (enough already!) and the finishes were pretty cool. The most impressive was a Strat shaped guitar with WWII fighter plane graphics in matte paint and actual rivets attached to the guitar. Chris Compston, who paints many of ESP's custom finishes is also doing some work for Schecter. The new Schecter V guitar is pretty impressive, as was a $549 Hellraiser bass that I played.

Ibanez
                      As usual, the Ibanez booth was filled with a million variations of their version of a Strat type guitar. Their booth is always a bit overwhelming for me because of all the variations in models. The Iceman is now neck thru (I'm pretty sure it's not set neck anymore) but the neck profile is now the skinny type, as opposed to the high end Artist model, which has the thicker type neck found on my old school Destroyer and Rocket Roll II. The new Ibanez Les Paul style guitars had some nice tops on them. One of them had a quilt top in which the "valleys" of the quilt were actually milled into. At the front of the booth was a life size Silver Surver statue holding a Satriani guitar with the Surfing with the Alien graphic on the front of it.

Moser Custom Shop
                      As usual, Neal and Co. showed an interesting range of instruments. The most bizarre had to be Neal's prototype Wraith semi-hollow jazz box. Perhaps the first pointy jazz box in history? Neal said he made it so when he goes to the lake and is strumming outside, he would hopefully be heard. He said he's not convinced it's any louder than a standard electric but it was worth a try. Also in attendance was the prototype for the MCS Les Paul style guitar, which Neal said is his backup guitar. Friggin thing weighed 9,000 pounds and the neck was like a telephone pole, but very playable. Yet another prototype, the Scimitar (like an Soloist with longer, pointier horns) was shown. If you like Kahlers, switches, and points, this was the place.

Caparison
                      The Caparison booth was right next to the MCS booth and had only a few guitars on display. I asked one of the Japanese guys if James Murphy or anyone else was going to perform, and after a few seconds of translation between the Caparison guys, they said they had no idea. I didn't play the guitars but they looked pretty cool.

Michael Anthony
                      On my way back to the Brubaker booth to meet some friends for lunch, I see Michael Anthony singing and there's only 2 people in line. As soon as I get in line, the booth handler says the singing is over. My wife showed the guy our baby daughter (who can resist a baby bribe?) and the guy said it was up to Michael whether he would stay or not. Fortunately, he let us snap some images of him and I got him to tell my buddy Ray (longtime VH fan) on videotape to fuck off!

ESP room
                      I think the ESP room had an impressive showing. Even though ALL the guitars were strapped to the wall (can a brotha play a $150 LTD???), they sure looked purty. The real deal ESPs in the entry way had mostly graphic finishes (painted by Chris Compston, who was in the room for a bit) were stunning. The product lineup as usual is a bit confusing. I can't always tell which are the cheap guitars and which are the better or best guitars. However, across the board the fit and finish appears impeccable. I just wish I could actually handle one of the guitars.

Jackson/Charvel
                      Deep in the Fender room were the Jackson and Charvel displays. The Charvels were all Stratheads (I think) and most had simple solid or simple graphic paintjobs. All the ones I played could have benefitted from a setup. I feel the action was too high across the board. How hard is it to set these things up? In fact, one of the Charvels with v-trem needed the neck shimmed because the saddles were almost bottomed out and the action was still high. Though I'm not in the market for a Charvel, I could not make a purchase decision based on the way these played. The Jackson display was divided among customs and imports. the Phil Demmell (Machine Head) V made it's debut. If it was string thru, I'd consider buying one. The paintjobs on the customs were pretty wild, the most impressive being a glow in the dark biomechanical skull graphc. Near the Charvel display I saw Grover Jackson talking to 2 guys. Grover was telling the guys he's a mechanic at heart and doesn't want to be the rock star or be a figurehead. He said he likes hands on work and was helping Jackson/Charvel with build procedures. I waited patiently then finally butted in (in a nice way) and asked if I could have a picture with him. He obliged and I told him a story of how in 1988 my mom's friend was a friend of his ex-wife. My mom went to LA to visit her friend, and they wound up having lunch with Grover's ex-wife then wound up at Grover's house and my mom brought me home a signed Jackson catalog. Grover laughed and said he remembered my mom's friend. I asked him if it's a good thing that Fender now owns Jackson. He said they're in a way better situation than they were with AMIC. He also said he's a gun for hire and he has various business interests and him and Jackson were benefitting from the relationship.

Schaller
                      I needed a part, and Schaller hooked me up. Big props to them. I'm a customer for life!

Didn't see:
                      Unfortunately I didn't get to see the US Masters, Rico Jr, or VHT booths.
                      ***** The US masters were great imo... Steve was super friendly to
                      me at VHT..(got to rip on the new Sig X head..man what a Uber monster!)
                      And... if i remember correctly, ESP, and some others did NOT tie their
                      axes down with plastic ties, until Friday afternoon.. i noticed this too, but
                      i think they were freaking over the crowds on Sat...and maybe wanted to
                      protect them more? Either way, i agree with you... EVERYTHING needs
                      to be available to play..heck i picked up $12,000 one off's, and it was
                      ok with the owners! :-((

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                        Caparison
                        Yep, Comparison could really do a better job if they are serious about cracking the U.S. market. Thinking a guy that speaks English in the booth, and more than one distributor in the U.S. (last I checked) would help matters tremendously...
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Here is that Schector with the rivets..Ultra cool..but i have a feeling this one would go for $4K...which is
                          overpriced imo...if Schector could do this for say $1300.00.. im all over it !!

LOVE that Warbird

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                            LOVE that Warbird
                            Venemboy has a better pic of it in his photo link, mine was too dark.
                            Its awesome!

Comment

Dean girls...not impressive. Seriously.

ESP had everything tied on thursday as of 3pm. In the past they've had the ESP's tied down but the LTD's were playable.

Comment

Working...
                              X