Spring Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Problem

I changed the strings on my Model 5A that I recently got off of ebay and the springs came out even though I blocked the bridge. Now I can only get 2 springs to stay in the block. The middle spring will NOT stay put. It keeps popping out.

I'm really starting to hate JT-6 Trems.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

LOL! That 5A is damaged goods - send it to me.....

Sounds like someone flipped the block around. Take the JT-6 apart and flip the block.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Sounds like someone flipped the block around. Take the JT-6 apart and flip the block.
      That's what I'm thinking, the block is probably upside down.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Does this look like it's upside down? I'd really hate to go and take everything apart. The block actually seems like it goes too deep into the cavity. The middle spring will stay put if I put the cavity cover on.

Comment

Hmmm. Can't tell if it's upside down, but could it also possibly be the block is too long if it's too deep in the cavity?

Comment

They did not mean upside down.The holes are tapped at an angle its possible someone put it back together backwards.The Jackson logo on the trem block shoud be facing towards the neck of the guitar.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              They did not mean upside down.The holes are tapped at an angle its possible someone put it back together backwards.The Jackson logo on the trem block shoud be facing towards the neck of the guitar.

Thanks. Then the block is definitely backwards because the logo is facing the back of the guitar.

Comment

YOU GUYS KICK ASS!!! Flipped the block and all is well!!! It's this type of advice that makes the Platinum membership a minuscule amount to pay to keep the frustrations of working on a guitar to a minimum!!

Comment

Umm, is it me or is that trem seriously crooked?
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was wondering the same. Camera angle, maybe? The paint wear (or area ground down for clearance?) looks like maybe they had a trem with too short of a block in there at some point, or else had the trem raised super high & the springs were dragging.

Jack, when you say the block goes too deep, do you mean it seems too long (too close to the cavity plate, or too short (springs drag on the wood at the bottom of the cavity when you pull up)? Did they make a short block for the JT-6? I thought they were all 42mm. If there was a short block version, maybe he got a replacement trem with the shorter block.
                    Last edited by dg; 01-19-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

The block seemed too long as in coming too far down into the cavity, close to hitting the cavity cover.....Things are better now that I flipped the block. It only looked crooked because I was screwing around with it and had the strings a bit slackened...All is good now. Thanks!

Comment

Good times!

Comment

Rock on Jack.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X