• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PRS models for 2008

PRS NAMM Showcase 2008 – 12 New Models

(STEVENSVILLE, MD) January 17th, 2008

David Grissom’s Signature Model – The DGT

David Grissom’s signature model PRS guitar, the DGT, is the result of more than 20 years of collaboration between Paul Smith and Grissom. The DGT was inspired by Grissom’s wish to take all of the best elements of his PRS guitars and combine them with an extra volume control, a nitro topcoat, vintage colors, his favorite neck shape, large frets and .011 gauge strings. Grissom’s signature model features special pickups, special wiring, a special neck shape (smaller than a wide-fat neck), bigger frets and heavy gauge strings that compliment rhythm and solo tone.

Paul Smith said, “During the DGT’s final design phase, I discussed changes with David…just some minor tweaks I was considering for his model. David’s response was ‘Don’t touch it. I like it the way it is.’ It feels good to know we nailed this one for him.”

High resolution DGT images: http://prsguitars.com/prdgt/index.html

The Mira

The PRS Mira model is a 24-fret guitar that features a 25” scale length, 10” radius, regular or wide-thin neck shape, locking tuning pegs, PRS non-adjustable Stoptail, abalone moon inlays, optional bird inlays, East Indian rosewood fingerboard, a solid mahogany body and neck, Mira Treble and Bass pickups, volume, tone, 3-way blade switch and mini toggle coil tap. The Mira model is offered in a range of colors including Vintage Cherry, Orange, Vintage Mahogany, Black, Wild Mint, Lilac, Seafoam Green, Powder Blue and Sandstorm.

“The Mira is giving PRS a greater opportunity to appeal to a younger audience, to indie bands and to players who are looking for different things in a guitar. It has a vintage and retro vibe to it, and the Mira model has already been creating quite a bit of excitement within the PRS work force, PRS collectors and amongst the many artists that have had the chance to get their hands on a Mira,” said Joe Knaggs, head of PRS R&D.

Skillet Guitarist Ben Kasica said, “I love it. It plays amazing, and the sound is perfect for the songs I use it on. It has that retro, classic rock vibe with the playability of a modern PRS guitar.”

High resolution Mira images: http://prsguitars.com/mirapr/mirapr.html

McCarty Korina Surpasses Expectations

Korina has come to be known as a rare and legendary tone wood amongst manufacturers and players over the years, and PRS is now pleased to add the McCarty Korina to their model line. The new model features an all korina body with a korina neck and headstock, an East Indian rosewood fretboard and is offered in several colors.

“The McCarty Korina is a very light-weight and musical guitar,” said Paul Smith.

“PRS has come across a great supply of korina that meets our expectations and meets our quality requirements. The guitar looks and sounds better than we expected,” said Larry Urie, PRS Sales and Marketing Manager.

High resolution McCarty Korina images: http://prsguitars.com/prkorina/index.html

McCarty Successor – The McCarty II

The McCarty II is the successor to the McCarty, the PRS guitar model named for Ted McCarty. The instrument comes standard with a carved figured maple top with a mahogany back body, 25" scale length, 22-fret mahogany wide-fat neck with rosewood fretboard, moon inlays (new birds optional), PRS Stoptail, vintage style tuners, McCarty II truss rod cover and a new Mastering Voice Control. The Voice Control is fully variable from clean, clear vintage tones to powerful heavy metal sounds.

The electronics package also includes new McCarty II Treble and Bass pickups with covers, volume and tone control, 3-way toggle pickup selector and a mini toggle for turning the Voice Control on and off.

“I am so pleased that PRS updated the McCarty. Ted McCarty was an innovator, and this new instrument reflects that quality, “said Paul Smith.

Santana’s New Sound – The Santana MD

The Santana MD is the evolution of the Santana I, II and III models. Carlos Santana and Paul Smith have been working together for more than two years on this new instrument and its new sound. The instrument has most of the appointments of the Santana II and III models but with two major differences. The knobs are now in McCarty positions, and the instrument includes a special Mastering Voice Control. This Voice Control provides an early sixties sound and clarity to the instrument and turns on and off with a mini-toggle.

“Carlos and I worked diligently on this instrument,” said Paul smith. “We are pleased it is ready.”

PRS Guitars’ Largest Hollowbody – The New SCJ Thinline

PRS is now offering a 300 (check with Peter) piece run of a large, full-scale hollowbody guitar. Previously, the SCJ Thinline was only produced in small quantities inside the Private Stock department. This newly offered, limited run model will feature two different bridge/tailpiece setups, a custom-made Bigsby, as well as a PRS designed ebony/curly maple unit. The model also features a select grade maple top and back, mahogany middle and neck, and a Macassar (check spelling) ebony fingerboard/headstock veneer with gold mother of pearl birds and signature.

Joe Knaggs said, “PRS is known for limited runs but not limited runs of large, full-scale hollowbodies. It’s truly something different for PRS, and it is exciting to see the model grow from its Private Stock beginnings into a limited run model.”

PRS Brings Back Alder – The CE 22/24 Alder

Solid alder is once again being used by PRS Guitars with the introduction of the new CE 22/24 Alder model. Alder has not been used by PRS since the earlier nineties, and the body of this new model, the successor to the CE Mahogany, is solid alder, not alder on the back of a maple top. The bolt-on neck is rock maple, and both contribute to a unique CE 22/24 Alder tone.

Singlecut Hollowbody

After the success of the PRS Hollowbody series, PRS has extended the line to include the new Singlecut Hollowbody. The SC Hollowbody is offered in two models: the SC Hollowbody Standard and the SC Hollowbody I, both featuring Stoptail bridges and 22-fret necks.

The SC Hollowbody Standard features an all mahogany body and neck, 25" scale length, 22-fret mahogany wide-fat neck with rosewood fretboard, moon inlays, PRS Stoptail, PRS 14:1 low mass locking tuners, archtop treble and bass pickups with covers, volume and tone control and 3-way toggle pickup selector.

The SC Hollowbody I features a maple top with a mahogany back, sides and neck. All other specifications are the same as the SC Hollowbody Standard.

“The first prototype of this guitar was made several years ago and has been one of the more popular guitars around the shop. We’re happy consumers will have the chance to appreciate this instrument as well, “said Jack Higginbotham.

Many New SE Models for 2008

With four new SE models on the roster this year for PRS, musicians of all ages and skill levels continue to have numerous SE options to choose from. Models being introduced include the SE Baritone, the SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar, the SE Singlecut and the SE Soapbar. Details on the SE Baritone and the artist whose name it will bear will be announced at Winter NAMM, the SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar follows suit with the dual humbucking version that was first introduced in 2007 and all of the same features of the SE Singlecut are now available with a PRS tremolo bridge. Colors offered for the new SE Singlecut Trem include black and tobacco sunburst. The original SE Soapbar guitar featuring a single-cutaway solid mahogany body is the fourth SE model being showcased at Winter NAMM. While not completely new, this guitar has not been available for several years, and PRS is happy to bring this model back from the past.

<- Back to News

I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
    X