Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR or Schaller?

What is the better option?

Are they both used or new? Wear makes a difference but I think they are both equal.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
      Are they both used or new? Wear makes a difference but I think they are both equal.
      +1. They work equally well, provided the OFR is made in Germany (by Schaller). Apparently there are some OFRs floating around that don't have the "made in Germany" stamp, and people don't think they are as good as the German ones.

One thing, comparison-wise though: I seem to get a little less room for pull-up with the Schaller, than with the OFR. But other than that, great Floyds, both of them.

Comment

Ping...

I actually like the Ping Floyd very much, solid brass spring bar, nice quality etc.. and a very good replacement for other Floyd licenced by's.......just my $.02

Comment

pjg:I like the beefier allen screws shafts and shorter length on the Schaller version like on my Dinky Rev.Plus my recessed cavity is less then with a OFR.
          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

the new GOTOH is probably the top of the line in double locking trems at this point in time.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Schaller... less wood removed, looks cleaner, is a bit beefier baseplate wise... some of them even have intonation screw inserts in the base making it almost impossible to strip it out.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by pjg View Post
                What is the better option?
                Older chrome OFRs. Sturdier knife edges and better chrome plating
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by sgray View Post
                  I actually like the Ping Floyd very much, solid brass spring bar, nice quality etc.. and a very good replacement for other Floyd licenced by's.......just my $.02
                  I think Original Floyds have always had brass blocks... they're just plated with steel. And from what I understand, the Ping is a cheaper metal bridge compared to an Original Floyd.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

6 of one, half dozen of the other...

I've always been partial to OFR's, but I'm not sure why. Schallers are just as good...
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I think Original Floyds have always had brass blocks... they're just plated with steel. And from what I understand, the Ping is a cheaper metal bridge compared to an Original Floyd.
                      Yup. The OFR blocks are brass blocks. They aren't plated with steel though - they're nickel plated - but that makes people think they're raw steel.

I've also seen complaints about the Ping Floyds, but those are not the ones I was referring to. I'm talking about the OFRs that aren't marked either by Ping, or stamped with "Made in Germany". People have spotted them on the RR24s for instance.

Comment

I have a body with a non-recessed floyd route and want to get either a brand new OFR or Schaller FR for it. Warmoth has both and so far the best prices I have found. I am mostly concerned about the build quality of the one vs. the other.

Comment

Between a brand new OFR and a Schaller Floyd I would take the latter. Be sure the body posts-to-nut length is compatible with the Schaller i.e. what was the body made for...
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                          X