Monster Power Pro 3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Power Pro 3500

Bought the Monster Power Pro 3500 rack unit on 8/30/07. Looked at it this morning and no lights on the LCD display. Plugged the lamp into the front and rear connectors.... both work. Plugged a pedal into the front non filtered outlet.... it works. Plug end has a light on it.... it works. No power through the filtered outlets in the rear. So I unplugged the main. Plugged it back in...

Silence for about 15-20 seconds. Then I hear "click." Probably less of a click in reality and more like a trip. No LCD and no power to the rear filtered outlets.

I call Monster Power up, get strung on hold for 10 minutes (not too bad). I get a tech. I 'splain the prob. He checks my purchase date and merchant. "Merchant is NOT an authorized dealer." No mention of that lil fact anywhere on the merchants site that I recall. So I figure... there goes the warranty. Tech confirms no warranty. Tells me for $150 they will do a "Non Warranty/Flat Exchange. I say "I paid like $212 for it total so NO WAY JOSE!" I then push him about the merchant selling their goods (they have 100 in stock as I type) w/o revealing that they are not an authorized dealer. "WASUP WIF DAT?" He says sorry. I say no prob. I'll call my CC company and see what they say about reversing the charges. "OH! We DO have a "courtesy exchange" program. I box and ship w/RMA#. They process in 2 bidness days and ship out a new one. MUCH BETTER.

Anyone familiar w/what relay/switch etc, may have failed in MP units? I'm not gonna open it up to look. I don't wanna risk it due to my RMA. Also, might I expect more of the same from MP products (early failure rate)?
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

I believe there is a special audio amp power outlet. what happens is that all your inputs turn on first, then the amp on a timer. this is to avoid those pops when inputs turn on while the amp is on (or turning on).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Correct. It has sequential on off phase per the 3 different filtering sections. It is suppose to be an automated solution for powering up and down... Power amp is suppose to be last on and first off. So there is a delay between powering up or down.

I unplugged it and let it sit for a few hours. When I plugged it back in all was fine.... for a while. When it powers on correctly it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't want to (if I unplug it to move it, etc.). Sometimes I get a bit of a glitch w/the LED. It is either half lit or the last half of the display serves as a disco strobe. I gently pushed on the LED panel and it was once again cured.... for now!

I think it has older technology w/the filters (sweep). Seems like it's buggy. Maybe also a connection glitch to or w/the LED. Could be inter related. Maybe not. I know a little.... Just enough to be dangerous! But I don't really want to crack it open and hose my "Courtesy Exchange" possibilities. OTOH, I only paid a little over $200 for it, delivered. So tossing shipping expenses at it sorta of ruins the bargain for me. It seems to be built quite fragile except for the thick front panel. So I'd expect similar or worse probs from all of them. Think I'll just keep it and pass on their exchange offer. If I need to replace it I'll just go back to my mainstay - Furman.
      Last edited by T@rgetDrone; 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM. Reason: because i'm an idiot sometimes
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

the furmans have always been solid to to me. i had the front pannel LED lights go out on me after my house got struck by lightning. but it saved my computer and outboard gear, and still worked except for the front LED lights.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have the PRO 2500 and have never had an issue like this. I know there is a timed relay inside of these, could be that relay is bad.

Comment

Working...
          X