Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the Nonrecessed Floyd Rose disappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the Nonrecessed Floyd Rose disappear?

I think I read Steve Vai was the first guy to try to recess his bridge into the guitar so he could pull it back but when did every single guitar with a floyd have to be recessed like that? The only guitars without it nowadays are the super expensive custom shop Charvels and/or EVH's guitars (now with charvel too I know).
    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

There are also new US Kramers and OLPs with flat mounted Floyds. They too trace their roots back to EVH, but they are affordable at least.

Comment

Vai didn't recess his floyd for pullup. He did it because he liked the lower profile. Prior to recessing, he would put hand-rests above the trem on his guitars. You can pull up fine with a non-recessed floyd, especially if you have a rear pullup route or lion's claw route like Vai had on the Green Meanie. Brad Gillis managed just fine on non-recessed floyds, and there aren't many (if any) better floyd masters out there. But to answer the question of when recessed floyds started to take over, it was from around '89 & later.

Comment

Originally posted by livebiz View Post
        There are also new US Kramers and OLPs with flat mounted Floyds. They too trace their roots back to EVH, but they are affordable at least.
        I've seen the Kramers but not the OLPs. All the OLPs I've seen have the recessed bridges.

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Vai didn't recess his floyd for pullup. He did it because he liked the lower profile. Prior to recessing, he would put hand-rests above the trem on his guitars. You can pull up fine with a non-recessed floyd, especially if you have a rear pullup route or lion's claw route like Vai had on the Green Meanie. Brad Gillis managed just fine on non-recessed floyds, and there aren't many (if any) better floyd masters out there. But to answer the question of when recessed floyds started to take over, it was from around '89 & later.
        Funny thing is I've haven't seen a floyded guitar with the pullup route without the floyd being recessed but I have seen a recessed floyd without the pullup route (Peavey Wolfgang)

I brought this up because I want a guitar without the pullup route. It's mainly for aesthetic reasons (I think it detracts from the look of a guitar). Besides that I never pull up on my bridge and it seems like it would be easier to setup and maintain a nonfloating floyd. It's just irritating that there isn't a company out there marketing a nonfloating floyded guitar to the masses.
        I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Easiest way to go might be to find a guitar with a non-recessed floyd & either block it or install a Tremel-No.

BTW, a good example of a guitar with a non-recessed floyd & pullup route was the Charvel 650XL.

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
            Funny thing is I've haven't seen a floyded guitar with the pullup route without the floyd being recessed but I have seen a recessed floyd without the pullup route (Peavey Wolfgang).
            the late 80s Charvels had non-recessed Floyds with a pull-up rout
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              the late 80s Charvels had non-recessed Floyds with a pull-up rout
              The Jacksons of the same time had the same. I think the transition to full recessed began in 1990.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

you didn't see it until the toothpaste logo's
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                  Funny thing is I've haven't seen a floyded guitar with the pullup route without the floyd being recessed
                  Not the best pic, but here's my Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR:

Mots of the Grover Jacksons from 90-95 had trems like that, and also Charvel 650XLs and 750Xls, even some of the Jackson USA CS guitars before 1990.

Comment

Working...
                  X