Building a Pup Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Pup Tester

I have a bright idea. I have a whole bunch of pound puppies. I want to hear how they sound. I was thinking of building a "Pup Tester". I have an ohm meter but that's not enough. I'll rig up a jack and maybe a pot. I use a Norelco razor to hear things. But, before I do this, I have a question. Can I ground out running a wire to the metal file cabinet that is part of my workbench? I wouldn't want to waste my valuable time if it gets more complicated.:ROTF: Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Norelco Razor to hear things?
    Is this a stomp box I've never heard of?

Comment

I learned that trick from a tech up the street when I lived in Marin. He did work for a lot of famous players. It's a very handy way to "Listen" to the pups. And you can shave as well.:ROTF: You could use a power drill but it dosen't have the high whine you need.
      Last edited by fett; 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

How about an old Texas Instruments calculator?
        I know the TI-30 would pick up RF signals.

Comment

Try your TV remote near a guitar. I'm telling you, the Norelco is perfect for testing. You can hear the tone pots do their thang. It is a wonderment.:ROTF:

Comment

Or you could build a simple bracket that mounted pickups upside down over the strings.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm going to build a fettster bester tester. God knows, I have the parts.:ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Or you could build a simple bracket that mounted pickups upside down over the strings.
                That's the least invasive way to do it

Comment

But the pup has to be "Live". I was thinking about making some sort of box where I would have posts to mount the pup and easy hookups. If I get strings involved it makes it not what I want to do. Maybe I am off the wall here. But it will be fun to build it.

Comment

Well, the purpose of a pickup tester is not just to see if it works, but how it sounds.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X