help with trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with trem

i recently put in some emg 81 and 85 pickups on my jackson dx10d dinky..and i took off the strings and they were off for a couple days which aint good i know but couple nights ago i finished with the pickups and i put the strings back on..but i've got a couple problems.. the double locking trem wont sit back and right now is sticking way up out of the cutout so the action is way too high and it wont stay in tune..also the D string buzzes like crazy.. this is super fustrating and i have no idea what to do..any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

edit: and i do know that you have to wait a while before the double locking trem will sit back down into its original place but i've waited and its still hasnt sat back down

comon guys plz help this is really a pain

Comment

You need to loosen the two spring claw screws in the rear cavity. Do a full turn on both at a time, and tune to pitch. Keep doing this until the trem is level with the body. The trem will never settle on its own. Do this with the locking nuts loose... once the trem is level, lock the nuts. To adjust the action, you need to turn the trem posts clockwise for lower and counter for higher.

The best way to do this, in order like so:

1. Make trem level to body in key
      2. Adjust height of bridge
      3. Adjust truss rod if needed
      4. Re-adjust bridge height

If you arent sure how to adjust the truss rod, do some searching on here and google, theres plenty of good articles out there.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        You need to loosen the two spring claw screws in the rear cavity.
        He says the trem is sticking up, out of the cavity. He would need to tighten the claw screws then.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah shit youre right... its late, sorry!
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

...and that should never happen unless you changed to a heavier gauge string.
            My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
              ...and that should never happen unless you changed to a heavier gauge string.
              ...or a brand with more tension, or changed the tuning.

Definitely check so the trem sits correctly on the posts too.

Comment

Probably the string pull of the EMG's, those bastiges! Nah, they're not known to have strong magnets like that anyway. Above advice is right...
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Did you stretch the strings first?
                  Scott

Comment

Probably not it at all but make sure you're not an octave too high!
                    I agree that if your guitar was set-up p[roperly and you replace the strings with the same thing, it should be ballpark at least. I use Rush's workin' Man intro to get an idea of low E if I don't have a digital tuner handy.
                    There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

next time, don't remove the strings. remove the trem springs from the bridge and take the bridge out (strings still attached) of the face of the guitar and set it aside. when done with your work, put the trem back in its cavity and pop the springs back on in the same places they were before. most times it'll be tune when you're done. my old road tech showed me that trick. great time saver.

Comment

Working...
                      X