Humidity, truss rods, and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity, truss rods, and you

OK so relative humidity falls in the winter, this I know. It seems like the tuning on my guitars is going sharp. I guess the relief on the neck is shrinking, that is, the neck is straightening out? Is that to be expected in the winter? A couple of my axes are getting really buzzy as of late. Maybe a quarter turn counter-clockwise on the truss rod adjustment? Comments?

yep!

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yes, and no. Depends on the guitar, I have found.
      The mahogany necked bich and the Phantom need little attention.
      The maple necked Kramer, Ibanez, and Charvel tend to get a bit fussy.
      My Ibanez acoustic is set high enough that I don't notice much of a difference.

Comment

I've had the opposite happen to me! Maple-necked KE3 was perfectly fine, but the mahog neck Washburn V started going wonky. Is it a wood thing, or a construction thing, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
          I've had the opposite happen to me! Maple-necked KE3 was perfectly fine, but the mahog neck Washburn V started going wonky. Is it a wood thing, or a construction thing, or what?
          You're on the wrong side of the earth. Everything is opposite.

Comment

I keep my Fender Double Fat Strat on a stand in my bedroom all year long... I usually have to tweak the truss rod twice a year; once in the summer and once in the winter. If I were to keep it in its case when not playing it, I probably wouldn't have to do anything to it.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Speaking of truss rods, I have been screwing with those neck swaps on the Strats I have. I actually have the right hex to adjust them. I was dicking with the truss and going every which way. I noticed something. The maple neck truss rod was loose, as in not in use. I went clock-wise to tighten it way up. Then, I went the other way. I guess what I am saying is that before you put relief in the neck, you have to start from the other extreme side. Or, I could be off my ass and watching football.:ROTF:
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
              X