Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of the Stew Mac knobs fit USA Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of the Stew Mac knobs fit USA Jacksons?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Do...ome_Knobs.html

They sell either 6mm or 1/4" from what I see. I need replacements for my PC1 BTW.

Any idea what woudl be they correct ones?

not sure if the size you need, but i don't believe that they are a direct replacement; are you replacing the entire set, or just one? pretty sure that they're not the same size (height, and the knurling is finer) as what jackson uses.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd say get the 1/4", since the pots should be USA-made (even for the Sustainor).

The main difference I've found is one knob has a pointed screw (to squeeze between the two halves of a split-shaft knob) and the other has a flat Allen screw (for pressing against a solid shaft). The most trouble you'll have is that one will sit slightly crooked when it's tightened.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My USA jacksons have pots with 1/4" shafts

Comment

I have a two knob version so changing both will be no issue even if they are not totally the same as the old knobs.

Thanks for the heads up BTW!

Comment

Also, if you don't do it already, is to tighten the Allen screw in alignment with the split. (screw parallel with slot). This way, the clamping of the screw will keep both sides of the split shaft straight to outward instead of inward causing the knob to wobble as you turn it. If you use solid shafts, of course, no worries.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Also, if you don't do it already, is to tighten the Allen screw in alignment with the split. (screw parallel with slot). This way, the clamping of the screw will keep both sides of the split shaft straight to outward instead of inward causing the knob to wobble as you turn it. If you use solid shafts, of course, no worries.
              Do the knurled split shaft versions come in both 6mm and 1/4"? All the 1/4" ones I've seen are solid, while all the 6mm's have been knurled split.

Comment

From my experience The 1/4" shafts are solid and the split shafts are 6mm. Possibly some of the older pots came in 1/4" split shafts, but the most recent pots I've measured are this way. I just measured some new split shaft CTS, RS Super's, and some Gibson pots I have and they all measure 6mm.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well I dug the old pot out of the garbage and it was indeed a 1/4" as is the pot attached to the circuit board. But.....

All my new CTS pots measure 6mm and when the knobs are installed there is some degree of wobble as mentioned here by Newc.

Better to get the 1/4 and be sure that they will at least fit.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Does anyone have a source for the 1/4" pots? Stew Mac only sells 6mm pots as far as I can tell.

Comment

How 'bout just throw some sleeves on the shafts?

http://www.axcessories.com/proddetai...rod=axpotslvsa
                      There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Working...
                      X