Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying open string overtones

Hi there.

The G and D strings on my Jackson seem to have a weird overtone that sounds pretty horrendous through a distorted amp, it's noticeable clean, although the amp makes it more pronounced, whatever settings I've tried I can't get rid of it.

My guitar has a year old OFR that is set up with a low action, tuned to Eb, the strings are not vibrating against any frets, the intonation is set up, and all screws on the guitar are locked down tight, [except for the fine tuners].

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.
    The Guitars...
    2008 BC Rich Gunslinger Retro
    2003 Jackson DXMG [Modified with Duncan Jazz & Screamin' Demon & OFR]

'The wild boys go head to head... Like the good book says be quick or dead'...- David Lee Roth

The trem springs vibrating?
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Could be, and/or the strings from the nut to the tuners.

Get an eyeglass cleaning cloth and weave it between the springs. If you've still got it, wrap it (or another) through the strings behind the nut (or loosen them).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

play those notes, get it to make those overtones, and then try to dampen parts with your hand or a cloth. from tuners, nut & screws, springs, trem bar, bridge pieces, etc..

Comment

Working...
        X