floyd rose frets out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd rose frets out

Is the action set too low when you do a pull-up the guitar frets out?
    Playing the 12 fret on the 6th string i can pull up 2 tones before fretting out however on the high e string i can barely pull-up a semitone before fretting out.

Umm yea... it's too low.
    -Rick

Comment

about how many semi-tones should i be able to pull-up?

Comment

That's going to depend on how high you like your action.
        You're gonna have to add some height for better range on the Floyd.

I set mine to about the thickness of a Dunlop Jazz III pick at the 12th fret.
        With that setup, I usually run out of pull up room or break a string before I fret out.
        So roughly 2 to 3 steps for me.

There is no "right way", just your way.
        -Rick

Comment

What kind of radius do you have on your fretboard? Flat or compound radius helps a lot with fretting out issues

Comment

Or you can try something else... a bit less conventional, but works well. Instead of setting your floyd parrallel to the body, set it tilting a bit towards the headstock. This way, when you start to pull up, the strings will actually travel up first, then down towards the fingerboard. Setting it parrallel (the right way) when you pull up causes the strings to immediatley go down as the bridge is already level with the board.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

ah yeah didn't think off that, should also assist when tuning down half a step. However if i tilt the bridge forward a little then lower the action back how it was, wouldn't the exact same thing happen?

Comment

Originally posted by thesoloist View Post
                However if i tilt the bridge forward a little then lower the action back how it was, wouldn't the exact same thing happen?
                Yes, it would be just like before.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by thesoloist View Post
                  ah yeah didn't think off that, should also assist when tuning down half a step. However if i tilt the bridge forward a little then lower the action back how it was, wouldn't the exact same thing happen?
                  It would but not as soon. With the bridge tilted forward, when you pull back, the strings will raise first, then start to go down. So you will definetly have more travel.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    It would but not as soon. With the bridge tilted forward, when you pull back, the strings will raise first, then start to go down. So you will definetly have more travel.
                    +1

It's probably easier to just raise the action a bit though.
                    Scott

Comment

Or don't do pull-ups? You have to decide which one you'd rather have - lower action or extreme pull-up range.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                        Why would the strings go up first? No matter where the trem is set you are still moving the mounting point of the string down, not up. I have my guitar right here and the strings don't go up first.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                          Why would the strings go up first? No matter where the trem is set you are still moving the mounting point of the string down, not up. I have my guitar right here and the strings don't go up first.
                          +1

Doesn't matter how far forward you tilt it, a Floyd always pulls the strings down when you pull up on the bar.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                            Ah shit, you guys are right. For some stupid reason, I was thinking the pivot point was the same as the string contact point. My fault!

Comment

Working...
                            X