Flux=Cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux=Cleaning?

I've got the bug to learn how to solder so I'm reading all I can before I attempt to swap some pickups. One question I have not found an answer for is in the Flux-Cleaning area. Does the Flux act as the cleaning agent for what needs soldering? Meaning, if I apply Flux, do I also need to clean the pot before soldering?

Another question about de-soldering. Once the old solder is heated up and the wires are disconnected, I know you can use a wick or a Solder Sucker to clean up the mess. Is that what you guys do for guitars? Or do you just "use" the old solder as a base for the new stuff? And if you do, do you Flux or clean the old solder before the new stuff? If you don't have the wick or a sucker, is there anything else I can use?

Lots of questions there. I did a search and read the sticky and all that but didn't see anything about this. Thanks...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Flux cleans / strips the oxidation layer on the surface of the metal you are going to solder to. Use a little on the pot in the spot you are going to solder.

It is definitely better to clean up the old solder.
    you don't have to use flux on solder itself, it has it mixed in already.
    Do clean the metal surface after removing old solder.
    I don't know if there is some home-brew kind of trick for wicking, I just buy the spools.

Comment

Tashtego,
      Thanks for the info. I think its best just to spend 9 bucks at Radio Shack and get one of those sucker things for old solder. Better than catching a rag on fire...

So remove the old solder and flux the pot, right? Or clean AND flux the pot?

Comment

Solder wick is made from copper braiding....No danger of catching a rag on fire.
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
          Solder wick is made from copper braiding....No danger of catching a rag on fire.
          What I meant was just using a damp rag to clean up the "liquid" solder. That would catch on fire, I would guess...

But I was reading online just now that some think you don't need a de-soldering tool at all, they just use a damp sponge. Any of you use a damp sponge instead? That seems risky too...

Comment

Ah the solder sucker. My uncle used to used it. Well, basically, you apply flux on the area before you solder the wire lead onto it. First you remove all the old solder from the area using the solder sucker or you can simply grab as much as you can with your soldering gun's tip and shake it off or use a wet rag cloth to remove it from the tip. Use a blade or sharp edge and scrape the area clean. Apply flux and solder away.

Nowadays, most solder comes with a flux core. So, there is no need to buy additional flux. Anyway, its a non-conductor, and so leaving some on the board or parts should not conflict with the connections.

EDIT: I used a damp sponge to remove the solder from the gun's tip. Before you can wipe excess solder off the parts, it would have hardened already. so, you cant use it on the parts.
            Last edited by emperor_black; 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM.
            Sam

Comment

emperor_black,
              Good advice there. I didn't think about the old solder hardening before I could get a wet sponge in there to wipe it away. I think one of those suckers is the way to go...

I understand some solder has a flux core, but I've also read here and other places that it doesn't hurt to apply some flux to the pot before soldering. I figure I need all the help I can get so what the hell. It's cheap and can't hurt and cleans up easy...

Comment

I would lean toward getting a solder sucker and the braided wick. I could never get those suckers to work worth a damn so I now stick to the wick. If you have both you can figure out which you prefer. The sucker might be good for places where there is a large gob of solder like on the back of pots, but I'd still finish up with the wick. I plan to put new pickups and a Moser full Mock kit in my Bich tomorrow.

Comment

I use a wet sponge to clean the iron tip off and a brass brush to clean up the old solder.
                  The suckers never work well for me.
                  As for the blobs on the back of the pots, I just heat them up with the iron and the scoop it off with an Exacto razor blade with a flat tip.
                  On new pots, I hit the back of them with some fine grit sandpaper and then clean of with some light alcohol to remove any oils before I solder them.
                  -Rick

Comment

Yeah, I got the sucker and it worked, sort of. The tip is a bit big so it doesn't get into tight places very well. But it's a good thing to have on hand I guess...

I didn't really need it. There was not a ton of solder on there...

But I managed to rewire the guitar with new pickups. A X2N in the bridge and I moved the Fred to the neck replacing the stock pickup that was in there. Doesn't look the best but it works in all positions and it's quiet so I must have done it right...

Comment

If the guitar's quiet, you have got it right!!
                      Sam

Comment

Working...
                      X