Painted DiMarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted DiMarzio

I just was given a new DiMarzio PAF Pro in Camo finish. The greens and tans have been painted over the black bobbins. Anyone ever take the paint off something like that to just have the black bobbins exposed? If so, how? I was thinking of just dipping an old toothbrush in paint thinner but don't know if that will work or not so I thought I'd ask if any of you have done something like this...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Acetone or paint thinner will chemically "melt" the plastic bobbin.

Try some non-acetone nail polish remover.
    May take some work, but it should work without screwing up the plastic.
    -Rick

Comment

Rick,
      Thanks! That's what I was worried about, screwing up the black bobbin. I'll give that a try...

Comment

Just use a soft rag to wipe it on with.
        Have a water soaked rag nearby to neutralize the remover if it looks like it's starting to eat the plastic.

I learned this trick while figuring out how to remove logos from pickups.
        -Rick

Comment

Rick,
          Cool, if I mess it up I guess I can always get Bobbin Toppers or just think of it as "degraded and cool"...

Comment

Relic or vintage. They would be worth five times as much. :ROTF:
            -Rick

Comment

use a straight blade & you should be able to scrap it off. hold the blade at a slight angle & drag it across the pickup. the angle shoud have the top down in the dirrection your dragging in so you dont gouge the plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                use a straight blade & you should be able to scrap it off. hold the blade at a slight angle & drag it across the pickup. the angle shoud have the top down in the dirrection your dragging in so you dont gouge the plastic.
                I think that this is the method I'd try if it were me.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

No worries about gouging the bobbins?

Comment

Try putting duct tape or high tack tape on it. Chances are it has a poor prep job if any. It will prob lift the paint right off. If it has been prepped, you may have some scratches to deal with.
                    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      No worries about gouging the bobbins?
                      Not if you are dragging the blade backwards.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hey Mike... never though of that.
                        Most painted pups I've come across have been pretty well prepped. Hence the chemical approach to removing the paint.
                        I usually end up having to buff the tops after removing the paint.
                        Since they are plastic, scratches are pretty easy to buff out.
                        -Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X