Dk2M Setup - can't get it right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dk2M Setup - can't get it right

I have been trying to follow the directions, including the directions included with the guitar from Jackson, guitar setup information I've found, and the Gear Head guitar setup guide.
    If I go by the measurements that most sources seem to recommend, I get terrible buzz on the Low E and A string.

I understand what the truss rod does and I understand how to raise and lower the action at the bridge.

I just cannot get the action low on the DK2M. Seems like its awfully high when I finally get the buzz acceptable. For example, under the 12th fret I can put a Jazz III pick under it. with could maybe stick another half a pick under there.. and I still get buzz! I can adjust the neck and raise the bridge but then I can fit almost 2 picks under there.
    I've run straight edges down the frets looking for high frets.. MIGHT be one at 8 or 9.. but it seems really slight, if it even exists, I may just be trying too hard to find a reason. I get some buzz beyond there anyways if I play at 10.

Is it possible it has something to do with the uneven pocket on the DK2M? Yes I definately have that. I will probably send it in for a professional setup. are there any other things I should consider?

Thanks. This is driving me nutz, I spent more time tonight fiddling with it than playing.
    DK2M
    Fender Strat (Made in USA)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

If you bought it from MF, than you will have to get it set up by someone if you are having problems, I have done so many set ups on MF instruments.... it's not even funny anymore! MF has made my bench some great money last year and I'm sure that it will continue to do so! Take it to a local guitar teacher or music store (not GC or Sam A) and get them to either show you how to do it yourself (I give free set-up lessons in my store every summer for the local Teens) or do it for you! You'll be much happier!
    Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Between everything I've read on the internet and this site.. I figured there wasn't much more to learn. :ROTF: I ordered a Dan Erlewine book today anyways.

I'll probably take the guitar in to a local shop to get a good setup done so I know what it should play like.
      Last edited by Spacelord; 01-11-2008, 06:39 PM.
      DK2M

Comment

What are the odds that I need to shim my neck? I'm thinking a slight shim on the end of the pocket nearest the pickup.
        DK2M

Comment

sounds like your truss rod isn't set up properly . what you are looking for is a very slight bow.. its sounds to me like you have a crown or slight "smile" in your neck where the center is "saging" down slightly which may explain why your action is high at the 12th fret and still buzzing . i would suggest getting it set up by a good tech . and see how it plays from there .

Comment

The bridge was set very low.. in fact I think the bridge adjustments were bottomed out, and I still had high action.
            Ultimately I will probably take it in tomorrow.
            DK2M

Comment

i HAD a Dk2m, but i parted it out, because of the same problem. that and because i try to compensate for the uneven pocket by having the floyd tilted to one side. it was binding so it was making a POPPING noise.
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I took the advice and took it to a pro. He straightened the neck, and did a complete setup and brought the action down where it should be. I'm happy.

I put 9's on it..Now I'm thinking that I should have gone to 10's while I was paying him to set it up. If I switch to 10's, is my setup pretty much wasted cash?.. or can I switch to 10's and slightly adjust my truss rod and maybe the intonation myself and still be OK?
                DK2M

Comment

if you switch to 10s you may not have to mess with the neck...or you may have to. each guitar is different. intonation may be slightly out, but might not be enough to worry about.

the biggest thing is youll have to adjust the Floyd...tighten the spring claw so the bridge will sit in the horizontal position again.
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

What did the guitar tech do to straighten your neck? I have a similar problem with my DK2M where the action at the lower frets is low (1-12) but at the higher frets (12-24) the action is higher and it still has fret buzz. I think if i put a neck shim towards the neck pickups it will even out the action across the fret board, but what that will do for the fret buzz I'm not sure.

Comment

Wolfdaddy, before you resort to shimming the neck, can you isolate where the buzz is coming from? If the buzz is coming from the lower frets, you most likely need to add some relief (slight forward bow) to the neck (loosen the truss rod). This will allow you to lower the bridge a little and get the action where you want it for the higher frets.

To make sure that loosening the truss rod is the answer, you need to figure out whether the neck is too staight or is backbowed. You can do this with a straightedge, or by fretting at the 1st & 17th (or whatever fret the neck meets the body) and see what the string clearance is at the midpoint (7th or 8th fret). You should have about the clearance of a high E string (~.010"). If you don't have that much clearance or if the string is resting on the frets, then you need to add relief. Loosen the trussrod by no more than 1/4 turn at a time and give it some time to settle before turning it any more. Retune, check your relief again, see if the lower-fret buzz is gone, repeat if necessary. Once that issue is settled, then you should be able to make your bridge height adjustment.

Comment

The thing is, I'm not to sure what a high amount of fret buzz sounds like? There is some fret buzz all along the low e but it isn't that bad. The relief is fine on my neck, when i hold the the 17th and 1st fret and check the clearance on the 6th and 7th fret there is enough space to slide a playing card underneath. My bridge can't be lowered anymore, so i figure if i change the angle which my neck comes out by adding a shim, i will then have more height to play with to adjust the bridge.

Comment

I assume he straightened the neck with the truss rod alone. Still is not prefect.. but I have to live with the slight buzz for low action. It really doesn't matter when I am playing with distortion. I do hear it when playing clean a bit though. I took it to Huber & Breese and I assume they know what they are doing...I've heard alot of good things about them.
                          By straightening the neck it brings the action down.. since the nut may actually "lower" to the level of your bridge.
                          DK2M

Comment

Working...
                          X