Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Tuner/Floyd Replacement

Hey Everyone,
    I just found this cool forum and thought I might ask a couple of questions regarding a guitar I am trying to fix up. I have a 92’ Dinky XL (metallic black, if anyone cares) and I need to replace the original Jackson tuners and licensed Floyd. I would like to replace the tuners with locking tuners and was wondering if anybody knew of some direct replacement tuners that won’t require a lot of modifcation to the headstock. I would also like to know if there is a direct replacement for the Floyd (the Dinky has a routed trem so I can pull up on it). Again, I want to go easy on any mods to the body because this was my first “real” guitar and I don’t want to F it up!
    Thanks,
    Nick
    92’ Jackson Dinky XL
    04’ LTD EC-1000
    06’ LTD H-1000

to the forum! Any tuner for a 10mm or 3/8" hole will work. This includes Gotoh Magnum locking, Sperzel locking, Schaller locking and Planet Waves to name a few. My favs are Sperzels. The Sperzels use no screw and have a locating pin on the underside. This can be removed, or you can drill the hole that comes with the instructions. If you want to match the existing tuner mounting screws, all the others will match up. With the Schaller's make sure you get the non-90 degree ears. Warmoth stocks the one's that will fit Jackson's and Charvel's as a direct fit.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The licensed floyd on your guitar is the JT-590, which was made by Schaller, and is virtually identical to the Schaller Floyds you can buy today. Warmoth also stocks them as well, and for about as good a price as you'll find:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...floyd_schaller

Comment

+1 on what they said

Welcome to guitar/info/Jackson forum nirvana!
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check out your suggestions. I am slowly replacing the hardware and then I want to replace all of the pickups. I will post pics as I go along. I currently have the original Jackson single coils and I havent decided what I am going to replace them with. In the bridge I have a Duncan Distortion, but so far I am thinking about going with a DiMarzio D-activator or a Duncan Dimebucker, but I haven't made that decision yet. I already have a Duncan JB in my LTD H-1000 so I am looking for something different.
          92’ Jackson Dinky XL
          04’ LTD EC-1000
          06’ LTD H-1000

Comment

Working...
          X