Random observations regaring imperial and metric parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random observations regaring imperial and metric parts

I'm in the process of building an IBZ RG570 from parts, and one of the first things I noticed is that every single part is consistently metric. All my Jacksons seem to be a mix of metric and imperial parts. Mostly it's just a hassle in that you have to always have both sets of tools around. However, it can be more than a hassle when it comes to things like truss rods. I'm never really sure if I should stick a 5/32" or a 4mm wrench in there. So my question is, are there any USA Jacksons or Charvels made with all imperial or all metric parts? Here's an inventory of the parts that I have seen on USA Jacksons:

tuners: 10 mm only
    truss rod adjustment: 7mm and 5/32" (or is it 4mm?)
    pots and knobs: 1/4" only (slightly larger than the 6mm ones)
    locking nut and trem bridge bolts: Floyds are metric, Kahlers are imperial

Follow-up question: how about Jackson imports? 100% metric?

No gearheads want to chime in on this?

Comment

I think you are way ahead on this subject than the rest of us I think with the advent of Gotoh and Schaller tuners, there will always be metric on J/C's. Unless of course, Kluson steps up to the plate again
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
        I think you are way ahead on this subject than the rest of us I think with the advent of Gotoh and Schaller tuners, there will always be metric on J/C's. Unless of course, Kluson steps up to the plate again
        I think you are right about the tuners. What's the deal with the truss rods, anyone know who their various sources are for those parts?

Comment

I'm so used to it, from working on both import and American hybrid standards (1980's Chevy's are the worst)...that I have full sets of metric and SAE tools. I've learned through the years how to ID a fastener by its markings, that it's kind of second nature to know which one to go to.
          Other than that, get a couple good (I recommend Bhondus) ball end allen packs,
          in both standards. They are cheap enough, I have one for every toolbox.

Comment

Same here. That's one thing I hated when(and before) I started working as a mechanic. Half the car is metric, half standard. Just pick one or the other, but no, can't do that. LOL. I've got more sets of allen wrenches that I know what to do with.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I didn't know that about Chevy's! That sounds like a worse situation lol.

Comment

Just have lots and lots of hex keys. What amazes me is I actually know where they are..:ROTF:
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I just bought a small set from kahler. I couldn't undo the lock on my charvel:ROTF:. Yes I probably paid too much for them, but they had a min. on the order and I needed a part.

Comment

for some reason, I just got an image in my head of old meat with so many allen wrenches sticking out of it that it looked like a meatloaf porcupine

:ROTF:
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                    X