I was bored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was bored

Heres some of the guitar bodies Iv'e refinished or finished.I was bored so heres a few.

damn ashden!!!
    very nice work...

So what do you charge?
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Thank you Iv'e actually improved a lot since these were done and I will post more pics if it's ok.The most I have ever charged is the bodies Iv'e put on Ebay.I have done a lot of guitars for people and I don't ever charge anything but the price of the paint and shipping if it's not local.It's a labor of love for me,I like to do it.

Comment

Did you see the mess I made of my Kramer?
        I'm not sure if it can be clear-coated and look nice, or if it should be taken down to the wood, and something else be done with it.
        If you get a chance, check it out, and let me know what you think.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77127

I'm interested in your opinion...
        --floydkramer

Comment

Actually,if it were me I would strip it using a heatgun.It will not reshape the body and takes off urethane or lacquer finishes.The only thing you need to understand with it is do not stay on one area to long.As soon as the paint lifts use a scraper and be careful not to gouge the wood.When its stripped use 220 grit to sand the exess off and be careful not to reshape the body on the edges.Use 220-400 grit then deft sanding sealer use a gummy eraser as a sanding block DO NOT SAND BY HAND! and again sand with 400 grit to a matte finish.If I didnt have a spraygun setup I would go this route for a durable finish
          http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1...er-filler.aspx
          You can get urethane paint in a can but in my opinion dont.The same price you would pay for the paint you could buy a setup.my friend is new to finishing and this is all he uses and it does very nice
          http://www.brutepower.com/products/a...x.cfm?p_id=395
          http://www.levineautoparts.com/shfifxmi.html

The one thing you need to look for in a compressor and gun is the CFM.Notice the compressor runs 5.1 CFM @40 PSI The Sharpe runs 4.9 CFM.These are all you need because all your doing is guitars so a big HVLP isnt important.If your still going to use cans that you can buy locally or at Wal-Mart,I would go to Auotzone and use DupliColor primer filler and paint.Ok heres what I do after the sanding sealer
          After you sand all the shiny spots off the body w 400 grit.Use your primer and spray about 8 inches w a 50% overlap.Do about 4 coats.Do the same with the basecoat.Then spray about 12 coats of clear(or 3 with urethane)and let it cure for at least a month(urethane about 3 days to a week).Wetsand starting with 1000 grit-2000 wetdry using mineral oil because water will make the paint split where you have screwholes because the wood will expand.Buff with a rubbing compound and finish with a polishing compound.If you have an orbit buffer use it carefully.
          Last edited by ashden; 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I have been putting off a few painting projects because I have heard to many bad stories about rattle can jobs. Your paint jobs look great were they rattle can jobs?

That answers my question. LOL
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

The EVH kind of was in a sense.It was before I got my setup.I used a Preval for the primer,paint and clearcoat.The rest were done with guns.Thank you for the compliment

Comment

That's great info for all of us.
                Thanks Daddy-O

I'll let you know what develops, and keep you posted with pics 'n such.
                --floydkramer

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                    Nice work
                    Hey man!!!! Thanks for the hookup on the killer body!!It's actually gonna be my next project with a Warmoth strat style neck.They fit fine together.You do some fine woodwork brother.Here's the Mojo body I got from you on Ebay a while back.Nice light basswood,routing is dead on.This is gonna be a bio hazard guitar.If your necks are as good as your bodies I'm addicted

Comment

killer work...

Comment

You are welcome.... looks like poplar in the pics but it should sound great once you get it finished. The necks are killer... you will love 'em. If you are looking for that thin Charvel SD feel you won't be disapointed.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                          You are welcome.... looks like poplar in the pics but it should sound great once you get it finished. The necks are killer... you will love 'em. If you are looking for that thin Charvel SD feel you won't be disapointed.
                          Your sure right.The grains nice and tight,easy prep.I also am thinkin of doing a Demon soon

Comment

Originally posted by ashden View Post

Cool stuff. I actually have those same exact sheets on my bed at the moment. :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, great looking work there, Ashden! I love the Frenchie! Very cool of you to post the painting tips/info, too.
                              Last edited by quiksilver; 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X