Quick question on adjust floyd height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on adjust floyd height

Is it ok to change the Floyd height while the strings are tuned up (tensioned) or will this grind the knife edges away?

Its ok to adjust it. The knife edges stay in the same spot; the post moves up and down on a stud/insert to change the height.

Comment

but the posts rub against the knife edges when they rotate around, i have put graphite powder on the knife edges and on the posts so that may stop too much rubbing.

Comment

If its a real Floyd or Schaller, you can adjust height at full tension no problem. If its a JT580LP then I wouldnt... itll wear that cheap pot metal knife edges out in no time!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

for the extra 30 seconds it takes with a string winder, I will loosen the strings prior to adjusting more than a quarter turn.
          metal on metal kinda thing, regardless of the type of metal, it's not the greatest thing to do.
          some of the molds we make have moving parts/side actions that are hardened to 60 Rc, and they can still pick-up/gall against other metal parts.

ok, so it's a pain in the arse to re-tune... you in some kinda hurry?

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Or just pull a trem spring or two out which takes 3 seconds.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

If you do adjust under tension, make sure you lubricate the posts / knife-edges. You should do this anyway, just for normal trem usage. It's one of the most important things you can do to get the most life out of your trem.

Comment

Good point Rob!
                hehe
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

You can use some chapstick or 3-in-1 oil if You like, but frankly it will take less time to detune and move the screws. I'd be very careful of grinding metal against metal with so much weight pulling at it... Knife edges are crucial to Your tremolo, so why shorten their lifespan when You don't need to?
                  - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

GryphonGuitar said it. I totally agree. I was waiting for Sunbane to comment on this one, but another Swede beat him to it Which reminds me - where the hell is JJ lately?
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                    X