No announcement yet.

Replacing the floyd rose on my charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the floyd rose on my charvel?

I wanne replace the floating double locking tremolo on my charvel and i was wondering what would be a direct replacement and where would i buy it? I think its a JT-6????

I hear a floyd or schaller will go right on.
    I'm not an expert.
    The big hang-up with direct floyd swaps tends to be the size of the routing.
    There may be a little creative dremel work required on yours... I'm not sure.
    Bigger problems exist for guitars that are routed on the deck to allow for "pull-up"
    My 475DX for instance, almost demands a schaller due to the fact that ofr's have longer locking screws hanging out there that won't fit the pocket if I pull up.
    Hope this helps.
    I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm in error.
    hehe
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

I had a jackson that had one of those trems and my tech swapped in an OFR , he said no problem, I would go that route if you really like the guitar.
      Last edited by kmanick; 01-05-2008, 05:49 PM.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The OFR or Schaller will fit without problems. One thing that might need to be done, about 2mm of the high e side of the rout might need to be filed down. I had an OFR on my Model 6 for a while, and was having some trouble returning to 0. I tore it down for its quarterly maintainance, and noticed that the trem arm socket was rubbing. 2 minutes with a small file and it was fixed.

One thing though, If you had a choice, Id go with the Schaller. The knife edges are thinner and will seat better in the JT6 posts. The OFR is thicker and will bind a bit.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

just drop an OFR in there using the same JT6 posts...exactly what I did on this USA Jackson body
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Not sure how much back pull you'd get without the routed hole.

Comment

JT-6 trems are not designed with pulling up in mind.
              Put a Floyd in it and replace the stud posts with a set from Dave. www.fretsonthenet.com
              -Rick

Comment

I can pull back plenty on the M6.

I got VERY lucky though... I have an older Charvel Avenger body thats a project. Well the Avengers came with the speedloader Schaller, including the Schaller posts and post inserts. When I finally tore the body down, I found something VERY strange... The posts we indeed fine thread Schaller, but in inserts were the same size as the old school JT6 inserts! So these came out and went into the M6... I lucked out on that, was the first time Ive ever seen factory Schaller post inserts the size of JT6 style ones! Id still like to know how the hell that happenned!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Rob,
                  I think it's pretty obvious that your Avenger was equipped with the rare (and not documented) mojo package.
                  Keep that under your hat for the time being.
                  In ten years, that's gonna be much sought-after.

You probably had a previous owner with the toys at work to make what he needed, or drill/tap the threads he required.
                  There are a few guitars out there that I've given a "special treatment" to that would make a few of you scratch your heads and say WTF, over?
                  LOL
                  By the way, I'm a Plutonium member, in case you haven't noticed.
                  The first, I believe.
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Nah it wasnt a homemade job, was definetly an OEM part!

Comment

Plutonium...
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Rob, we make homemade parts for Segway, and about 200 other companies.
                        --floydkramer

Comment

So if i buy the stud posts from dave at www.fretsonthenet.com I could replace my JT-6 with any OFR? Could someone post a link to where i could get an OFR.. cheaper the better

Comment

nos,
                            I've found warmoth to be about the cheapest on a lot of stuff.
                            They must buy in qty, and pass the savings on to the rest of us.
                            Stewart McDonald tends to be a bit pricey, IMHO

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...floyd_original
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Just to clarify about the posts, you don't have to replace the posts with the ones Dave makes to put an OFR on the guitar, but his posts allow you to get a little bit more range, because they have a more open angle than the regular JT-6 posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X