What did I screw up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I screw up?

Today I installed a Non-Recessed Jackson JT6 on Gotoh Posts. Now before we get started, I know that the studs are in evenly and as far down as they should go. Now my issue is the one post won't go all the way down... I seem to remember them being threaded slightly differently, with one not coming up as far the other. Did I screw up and put the wrong post on the wrong side (the affected post is the treble side post)?

Did anything get down inside the insert? Try verifying that. Are both the posts and inserts the same thread? They should be. The posts should not be that tight unless they got cross-threaded somehow. You should be able to turn them all the way down by hand with the bridge off the guitar.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
      Did anything get down inside the insert? Try verifying that. Are both the posts and inserts the same thread? They should be. The posts should not be that tight unless they got cross-threaded somehow. You should be able to turn them all the way down by hand with the bridge off the guitar.
      My thought was maybe the lock on the post (since they are locking) was down, but It feels like its up. I know nothing is down in the insert because I checked that before I put it on. I can turn one down by hand but not the other. So did I get them cross threaded?

Comment

There could be some cross-threading going on. If the post starts easily on top and you have some resistance down about halfway, you might try a little bit of grease on the threads, and attempt to turn it all the way down. There may just be one spot in the insert that is a little rough. I've found this true with "Import" style posts, where the post and insert did not exactly have the greatest thread job. I had this recently when installing a "Rich Harris" set of locking posts in a Ibby JEM. The little allen (socket hex) set screws that go to the bottom of the more modern inserts (open bottom), started to hang. I was able to finally seat them on the bottom OK. They were easy to cross thread since they were only like 2mm thick height wise. With a little force with the allen wrench I got them seated and was able to unscrew them, then run them down to re-seat them.
        Once you get the post to the bottom, you can back it out and remove the grease, then run it back in. Since they are locking posts, removing the grease would be optional IMO. Good Luck!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You can always pull the insert and recheck that the post will screw all the way down if everything else fails. You may have bad threads on either the post or the insert.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I'll pull it apart and check it today.

Comment

Working...
            X