Finally took the plunge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally took the plunge...

...and went ahead and ordered some fretting supplies last week! I ordered more "professional" grade tools instead of the "just getting started" basics. In my past experience working on cars and electronics, Ive realized that if you start with a better tool, youll come out with a better product. Im really psyched to get this stuff though! Gonna work on my practice neck for a few days just to get the hang of it, then on to the first project.

The first project is to take a Charvel Model 2 neck, de-fret it, add creme binding all around, then full refret.

Though I bought most of the good tools, I decided to save some money and "make" a few myself. First is fret pullers and cutters, which are merely flat ground end cutters. Then, instead of a $50 24" leveling tube, Im using a fully machined 24" carpentry level accurate to .00005". Lastly, Im making a fret end beveling filing tool. This is REALLY simple to make and should save alot of time.

More info and pics to come!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

you have your first customer if you get good at it. some of these refret jobs are hitting $200. good luck and maybe a detailed walk through.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

$200?!?! Wow! So basically, if I do 2 refrets for myself, Ive more than paid for the tools? Not a bad deal if you ask me!

I hope I get good at it... but I know this is something that takes time to get a feel for it. Good thing I have a junk Performer practice neck to mess around with. Ive got some good tools, and have been doing alot of reading, so I think Im finally ready to tackle it.

Honestly, Id LOVE to work on guitars for a living. So Im diving into this head first to see how it is. The way I look at it, its a small investment to just have the knowledge to do it. That alone makes it worth it!
      Last edited by RobRR; 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I get $150.00 for a re-fret usually. Single frets $10.00 a piece.
        If its a L.P. with the nibs there coming off I let the customer know this first thing.Re-fret on a guitar with binding slightly higher.
        Last edited by straycat; 01-03-2008, 01:31 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I took the plunge end of last year and got some fret tools aswell, and man I'm glad I did. I've only done three level/recrowns at the moment and I'm already after more tools

So rewarding doing your own work.

Comment

I did the same thing. I just got my fret sanding beam, and fret file from FretGuru. I had a couple of guitars that needed a level/crown really badly, including a Washburn V that I had to straighten the neck on. It had a pretty bad backbow, so I had to heat the neck to soften the glue (with some super heavy gauge strings on it) to bring it back to a slight forward bow. The neck was straigt, but it would fret out from the 17th fret and up. After a couple of hours work, it now has super low action, with no buzzing, or fretting out.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
            X