pick-up wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick-up wiring diagram

Just about to start my first wiring project and want to check a couple of things. I've bought an evo 2 bridge and evo neck and plan to use a 5 way 4 pole switch wired with a single 500k volume knob (leaving the tone knob out of it) The wiring diagram provided on dimarzio's website seems pretty good and has the configuration i want on it:

www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/E.pdf

I just noticed where the red wires connect to the switch it appears as though it goes over 3 of the lugs. Should i solder it too all 3 or is it just a visual error in the diagram? Also because I'm leaving the tone knob out do i have to change the diagram at all apart from obviously leaving the connecting wires out?

Iv'e bought some single sheilded wire from allparts and was wondering if it would be suitable to use for all the other non pick-up wires (between lugs on the switch, to the jack, grounding wire to the trem claw ect.)

On the dk2m there are clips on the bottom of the pick-up cavity's with wires already attached to them. I presume these are for extra grounding so should i just attach these to central point such as the volume knob?

one final question, it may seem a bit noobie but how can you tell which way the pickup is supposed to go. Should the end that the wire sticks out of the pickup be facing the wiring cavity or something?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, it looks like you solder the red to all three lugs. You are basically turning the 5-way switch into a three-way switch. Positions 1 & 2 both are neck only, 3 is both, 4 & 5 are bridge. This isn't a super-switch with coil-splitting positions, so with 2 hums it works as a 3-way.

To wire it without the tone, you're right about just leaving it out. The diagram wouldn't change except for not having it wired.

The wires at the bottom of the pickup cavities are designed to ground the shielding paint of those cavities, and should go to your central ground point. On a lot of guitars, they will go to a similar point grounding the electronics cavity shielding, and then there will be a wire from there to the back of the volume pot.

The pickup should be installed so the wire is coming out of the bottom, closest to where the hole is drilled to the cavity.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. However in the pdf that goes with the diagram it says theta position 2 is the outside coils and position 4 is the inside so i wouldn't think it just simply turns it into a 3 way switch.

Introduction:?
      This?diagram?provides?the?three?classic?humbucker? sounds:?neck?(position?1),?neck?&?bridge?
      (position?3)?and?bridge?(position?5),?with?the?add ition?of?two?"Fender-like"?sounds:?a?Tele-like?
      tone?with?the?outside?coils?in?parallel?(position? 2)?and?a?Strat-like?tone?with?the?inside?coils?in?
      parallel?(position?4).?All?five?positions?are?hum? canceling.?Because?the?2?and?4?positions?select?
      single?coils?from?each?pickup?and?connect?them?in? parallel,?they?will?have?less?volume?than?posi-
      tions?1,?3?and?5,?which?select?coils?wired?in?seri es.?The?amount?of?volume-drop?in?positions?2?and?4
      will?depend?on?the?specific?pickup?models?that?are ?installed.
      Technical?notes:?
      A?standard?5-way?switch?does?not?have?the?capability?to?get?the se?combinations.?The?switch?-?
      shown?in?the?diagram?is?a?multipole?switch?(DiMarz io?EP1112).?There?are?many?other?2?hum-
      bucker?variations?possible?with?this?type?of?switc h.?Resistance?value?of?the?controls?is?a?matter?of ?
      taste,?but?500?Kohm?is?a?good?starting?point?for?m ost?pickup?combinations?and?.022?µfd?is?the?
      basic?recommended?value?for?the?tone?control?capac itor.
      Diagram?notes:?White?wires?are?rendered?in?light?g ray.

Comment

Here is great site
        http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ringresources/

Comment

Oops! Sorry about that. The EP112 is a super switch & does split the coils. Still looks like you wire the red across all three contacts.

Comment

Working...
          X