Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone do the roughing intonation procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone do the roughing intonation procedure?

I do it pretty much to all my guitars... but always notice that the "E" and "A" saddles for all my strats don't go back far enough to get into the limits they call out. Maybe I'm mis interpreting what the center of the "Saddle" is. I interpret the middle of the saddle is where the adjustment post are.. It seems to always be right on or just a slight adjustment to bring it into.

Originally posted by Fender Website
    You can preset the basic intonation of your guitar by taking a tape measure and measuring from the inside of the nut to the center of the 12th fret (the fret wire itself; not the fingerboard). Double that measurement to find the scale length of your guitar. Adjust the first-string bridge saddle to this scale length, measuring from the inside of the nut to the center of the bridge saddle. Now adjust the distance of the second-string saddle back from the first saddle, using the gauge of the second string as a measurement. For example, If the second string is .011" (0.3 mm), you would move the second-string saddle back .011" (0.3 mm) from the first saddle. Move the third saddle back from the second saddle using the gauge of the third string as a measurement. The fourth-string saddle should be set parallel with the second-string saddle. Proceed with the fifth and sixth saddles with the same method used for strings two and three.
    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

No, because tape measures are not calibrated and therefore can only be used as a reference - you might get 25.50" or you might get 25.56".

I go by where the string is first pinched across the saddle and nut slot, which may or may not be the direct center of either depening on wear and action.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
    X