Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having major fretbuzz issues

Hey guys,
    I am having some major fret buzz issues with my RR-1.normally I set up my guitars to my taste and have done so for years and I am pretty good at it.it seems the top 3 strings (ead)are buzzing when fretted up until the 12th fret.the bottom strings(gbe) are fine with exception of the b string buzzing.I have to raise the action high to stop the buzzing that leaves a big gap between the strings and the fretboard from the 12 fret to the 22nd.I tried slowly adjusting the neck to straighten it but nothing is working.I let the floyd fall back a little( not perfectly flat with the body but leaning back not foward) and that has helped a little but now the top E is buzzing bad.
    Any suggestions.

Low fret buzz usually occurs because of the truss rod being too tight. Another major possibility is that you need to get the frets crowned and leveled.
    -Adam

Comment

the guitar is new from jackson and diD not buzz when I got it

Comment

add relief...

When the truss rod is too
        tight, the neck bows backward.
        This lowers the string
        height and increases string
        buzz. Turn the truss rod nut
        counter-clockwise to counteract
        this condition.
        Last edited by JetFixxxer; 12-31-2007, 07:14 PM.
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

A rule of thumb I use is as follows. First, set the action reasonably low, and slightly higher on the bass side. If it buzzes from the 3rd fret to the 9th fret, add some relief, say a quarter turn counter-clockwise on the truss rod. If it buzzes above the 9th fret, remove some relief (quarter turn clockwise). This is just a starting point and should not be treated as gospel. If the buzzing remains and is equal above and below the 9th, you have to raise the action a bit.

Comment

I am going to take it my regular tech in wednesday he can probably fix it.I like my action low but not super low.when i got the guitar It was fresh from the jackson box and the action was low and creamey.changed the strings and it started buzzing everywhere.I blocked the floyd for the string change and used the same guage that was on the guitar.I waited few days to let the strings settle but no luck still buzzing.

Comment

Sounds like the neck!
              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Does the neck have a twist?
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Where do you live? Was it just shipped from Jackson? If so, is your climate a big difference in temp/humidity compared to Southern Cal? It probably just needs some relief, as the others said.

Comment

Shipped from california guitar center ordered direct from jackson.I live in florida and keep the guitar in a climate cintroled room.I hope the neck doesnt have a twist or else I am screwed.looks straight when I sight it.

Comment

Originally posted by BODOM View Post
                      Shipped from california guitar center ordered direct from jackson.I live in florida and keep the guitar in a climate cintroled room.I hope the neck doesnt have a twist or else I am screwed.looks straight when I sight it.
                      CA and FL have similar climates, except FL has more humidity, not to mention the fact that whether it was trucked or flown, it went through a climate/temperature change.

You cannot adjust anything on a guitar that travels more than 100 miles for the first week or two without screwing something up, and changing strings is the worst because of how it directly affects the neck.

A climate controlled room makes no difference - you have to give the guitar time to acclimate to that climate. Playing and tuning is fine, but neck adjustments and string changes are bad, and have probably warped the neck and/or disturbed the seating of the frets.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

So then what do the dealers here do when they get a guitar shipped across the country and need to get it set up and shipped out?
                        -Adam

Comment

Ill have my tech take a look at it.thanks Newc I dont think the neck is warped or the frets are out of thier seats.the neck is straight when I sight it.

Comment

Sorry. Yep, go have someone look at it. Good Luck
                            Last edited by anuske9; 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM.
                            -Adam

Comment

Striaght as in I dont see any warpage or twisting

Comment

Working...
                              X