backing tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing tracks

guys I am looking for some backing tracks to practice some soloing to.

I also am interested in learning how to record with a PC and any other gear I need. I have not recorded in 15 years back in the cassette 4 track days.

Any help?

thanks [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: backing tracks

I'm not sure about backing tracks but I could give you some tips for recording. It's all going to depends on how much money you are willing to spend. With a 'normal' amp you will have to mic the speaker, but with some other amps like the pod pro you can plug in directly to the soundcard. If you plan on using a mic then you will probably want a mixer so you can plug in a normal music mic like you would buy at a music store. The little mics that plug directly into your soundcard suck. Then you run a line-out from your mixer to a line-in on your soundcard. Your soundcard has a big effect on this also. Soundblasters are basicly made for games. You will most likely get a bad sound to noise ratio on one. Echo makes some good soundcards. check http://www.echoaudio.com

I prefer a direct connection from your amp to your soundcard though. Or from amp->mixer->soundcard. You will need a good multi-track recording program also. The best one I have used is Cool Edit Pro http://www.syntrillium.com It's exspensive but worth it. There tons of effects and tools in this program. You would have to spend probably 20 thousand dollars for rackmount modules to do the same thing. Best to pay $400 and get it all in the software. Their is a bit of a learning curve but this is the easiest program I have found.

Good luck!

Comment

Well...I'll give what I can..

I too was out of the recording world for a long time and using analog 4 trackers. I made the move to digital a little over a year ago and was asking the same questions after hearing mp3's posted by members (Pete, Sully, Steve etc) PC recording is quite easy and frankly if your PC has the horse power you can do some great things.

Here is what I use,

Guitar Tracks Pro http://www.cakewalk.com It is 32 tracks and simple to use and can be picked up at Guitar Center for 90 bucks or so. My PC is a 800 MHz Athlon with 128M SDRAM, I use the soundcard that came in it SB Live. So all you'll need is the software and a little adaptor to go from 1/4 inch to 1/8 (Mic, guitar cable to stereo soundcard). With this setup you can mic your cab and record away. The GT Pro has some amp sims that are alright but you can't hear them in real time so in my mind are uselessI have a JCM 800 2203 so I needed to record at fairly loud volumes which put a damper on when I could record...in fact I couldn't unless I sent my family on vacation without me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I bought a Johnson J station (like a POD) so I can record direct at anytime night or day, it was also about 120 shipped off of eBay when I got mine. They sound pretty good. All of my mp3's were done on the J station and GT Pro http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/shawnlutz/

I hope this helps. Once you make the move you be happy. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[ December 25, 2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Shawn Lutz ]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Just my $0.02...

Since my 'puter is less powerful (500MgHz) I opted for a stand alone set-up. Boss makes a couple of digital recorders with built in amp modeling and effects. The BR-532, with 4-real time tracks and 32 virtual tracks goes for about $395, and they have the BR-8, an 8-track real time, 64 virtual track machine for a few hundred more. Both have some built in rythms. THEY ARE VERY USER FRIENDLY.
        I then just record to my hard drive via an RCA to 1/8" plug adaptor, burn a CD or convert to MP3.
        I'm sure other brands are good as well, I've always liked Boss. Guess it depends on your skills & equipment.
        I have a sample in this section if you want to hear an example... sample

Comment

Is that bronchitus? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Is that bronchitus? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

No, it's not bronchitus, just some ass-kickin' death metal vocals. Even if it's not your cup of tea, the sample gives you an idea of what the Boss system can do...
              If you can see (hear?) past the vocals, let me know what you think of the rest, guitars, technical sound, etc...
              I know a lot of people don't agree with or like this type of vocals, I understand this and if people don't like it I could care less. People who like death metal like it, people who don't, don't. Period.
              [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
              But everyone seems to comment on the vocals and not the guitars. This is a GUITAR forum, right?

(Just trying to give you a sample of the possibilities, didn't mean to rant.)

[ December 29, 2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: John ]

Comment

Working...
              X