Merry Christmas - Carol of the Bells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas - Carol of the Bells

Merry Christmas JCFer's. Here's my 1st version of Carol of the Bells. 24 tracks all arranged on guitar. I'm so damn tired of this song I don't even want to mix it [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Sorry but this is as raw as it gets...no effects, reverb, delay or nothing. I'll let it set for a few days and post a better mix.

Mix ideas are welcome...I'm so burnt on this I don't want to lsiten to it again...needs some editing and mixing but oh well

**Updated** new mix http://onlinerock.com/musicians/shaw...s_eve_2002.mp3

[ December 24, 2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Shawn Lutz ]
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Merry Christmas - Carol of the Bells

I liked it. I really liked the leads at the end and the way the song ended with AUTHORITY!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Awesome work! I wasn't sure what to first expect when I saw it was an x-mas song. Very nicely done. Even without mixing it the quality sounds good too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

WAY COOL man!!!

Comment

Very nice,

I liked it quite a bit!

DRH

Comment

that rules!

Comment

So THAT'S what that song is called!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!

Pretty damn good for a raw mp3! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Those are some fuggin' cool tones you got and the playing was really smooth.

Comment

Bastard! I've been wanting to do that one! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

That kicks @$$! Nice combination of the different melodies of Carol Of The Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
                [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

(A few minutes later)
                  I've been listening to it over and over [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  I've also been playing along to it, which is fun to do since I don't have the score or tab for it.
                  Of course the harmonizing sounds cool as hell, but I ain't all that "up" with the modes and such (3rds, 5ths, etc) and wondered if you had done the "Iron Maiden" harmonizing? I think it's 3rds.
                  Anyway, I was poking around with the piece and I was doing the main melody over and over, and then after I found the notes for the "shift up" part in the main melody, I played that over the first part of the melody:

E||--7----5----7----3----|| "shift up" or second part
                  B||--8----7----8----5----|| Main Melody/first part
                  G||----------------------||
                  D||----------------------||
                  A||----------------------||
                  E||----------------------||

Sounds neat [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  And like I said, it's fun for me to do this stuff since I really could never get the hang of it since I'm not a theorist [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cool Rhythm Parts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Whoa! Amazing stuff man. Never knew that was the name of it. I had just started doing the same thing [own rendition] and i'm glad to hear it in a different way. Great job w/ it.

Comment

listening to it right now, awesome stufff man [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Thanks for the kind words...this is a simple tune as far as playing goes, arranging it was a *****

The version that this is based on is officially called "Christmas Eve(Sarajevo) by Savatage and TSO. I've been wanting to do this one since I heard it years ago. It didn't quite turn out how I'd like it to...too many damn parts and this is the most layering I ever did...Diary of a Madman is not even a close second

Newc, that is the right notes but I play it in a different position so I can easily lead into the next part. This dubs cover 3 and 4 octaves even with the harmony. The piano section was cut from the original mp3 (from the Savatage website) and pasted in there as it sounded kind of naked even with all the guitar parts.

Here is different mix with some compression and reverb..not much different as I started to like the raw version I just played it for my wife and she said she doesn't like the intro (muted arpeggiated part) so I may remove it or bring it down further in the mix...maybe I'll get to for next Christmas [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/shaw...s_eve_2002.mp3

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ December 24, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Shawn Lutz ]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I had set my radio alarm clock to wake me up this morning, and when it came on, "Carol Of The Bells" came on. Pretty cool!

Nice update by the way!

Comment

Dude, Awsome! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

My favorite X-Mas song (probably 'cause it's instrumental.) I've heard the other version (Savatage & TSO?) but never new who did it. And 24 tracks? My head splits working 8, but I'm just an amature...

Comment

Working...
                              X