Steven Cobert on Bassists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Cobert on Bassists...

In the Immigration chapter of Steven Colbert's book I Am America (And So Can You!):

"If we want to get rid of these occupational interlopers, I say we give them jobs nobody wants to do...

Bass Player: It's like you made a poorly worded deal with the devil to be a rock star. Instead of fame, fortune and groupies, you stand in the shadows plucking one note for 90 minutes while the lead singer picks out a trio of coeds from the front row for a post-show pansexual trapeze act. Even worse, you're expected to room with the drummer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hah I got that book for Christmas from a friend. You can't get through a page without laughing out loud several times.

Comment

That's funny, but even though I'm a mainly a guitarist, I think the bass player has the best "job" in a band. it's physically and mentally easier, you get to enjoy the music more, and strings never break!

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
          That's funny, but even though I'm a mainly a guitarist, I think the bass player has the best "job" in a band. it's physically and mentally easier, you get to enjoy the music more, and strings never break!
          Oh that is so wrong!

I'm a guitarist and bassist..and bass is MUCH harder..unless you're in a AC/DC tribute band...

I have so many pics with my hands bloodied and bandaged up..just to get halfway thru a set..and I jumped up twoo gauges (from 95's to 105) because all I did was break my low E string..

But your right for the majority of bassists who just lay back in standard metal/rock bands..even tho there is plenty of tricky stuff going on in alot of that stuff too...as ya know.

But if you play any Rush-school progessive, jazz/fushion, funk, motown, Disco, R & B or Iron Maiden..Bass is a pretty big deal.

I'm tellin' Claypool and Flea on you!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

guitar is a piece of cake compared to real good bass playing
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              guitar is a piece of cake compared to real good bass playing
              AMEN BROTHER!
              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                But if you play any Rush-school progessive, jazz/fushion, funk, motown, Disco, R & B or Iron Maiden..Bass is a pretty big deal.
                Agreed!

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

dude, that bass line on the intro to Unskinny Bop is WAAAY hard!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

This is funny stuff. It does reflect the public opinion on bass players. But I dont care. I play bass for me, not for what others think I should be doing. And my playing speaks for itself. ... An yeah, Colbert is a funny dude. Any of the guys that came from John Stewart's show are great.

Comment

Just go to Youtube, and check out vids from Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten,
                      and Billy Sheehan! Those 3 guys smoke 90% of all the 6 string players
                      ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        Just go to Youtube, and check out vids from Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten,
                        and Billy Sheehan! Those 3 guys smoke 90% of all the 6 string players
                        ever!
                        +1 also checkout Steve Bailey and Rhonda Smith.

Comment

Working...
                        X