Just got a jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a jack

hey, i just got a jackson, i think its a dinky, sounds good and all. Im having problems with my high e though, ive broken 2 in 3 days. The saddle if thats what its called seems lower then it should be, and i cant get the string tuned. Ive untuned until the string is dangling, and went up until its almost snapping, and no e..

i know how to tune, and ive never broken a string tuning. Ill post some pics maybe tonight or tomorow, anyone know whats going on?

When you say the saddle seems too low, do you mean in terms of string height or in terms of the intonation position (front to back on the bridge)? Pics would definitely help. Is the string buzzing badly on the frets?

Comment

The strings almost touching the pickup. When i look at the strings from the side the e is clearly lower then the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by madcap View Post
        The strings almost touching the pickup. When i look at the strings from the side the e is clearly lower then the rest.
        Sounds like the pickup polepieces are grabbing your high E string and making tuning difficult...........How is the string height at the last fret (by the body)?

Without more info, and assuming you have no issues with the other strings, I can think of 3 possible issues:

1. Your Floyd height may be too low on high E side. Sight the Floyd from the bottom of the body where the strap button is and see if it is even with the body.

2. Your pickup height might be too high on the high E side. Sight the pickup the same way you sighted the Floyd.

3. Your guitar has a twisted neck. This will take some expertise to correctly diagnose. You usually sight the neck from body to nut to detect this. All frets must be perfectly parallel like railroad tracks.

For more conclusive diagnosis, try to give us more details!

Comment

Well my camera is being a whore so i got a pic of the net. My bridge is a typical jackson bridge no real fancy shit.

The blue circle represents normal, mine however is lower then the b string's.

sorry the pic didnt show up the size i wanted.

Comment

Well my camera is being a whore so i got a pic of the net. My bridge is a typical jackson bridge no real fancy shit.

The blue circle represents normal, mine however is lower then the b string's.

sorry the pic didnt show up the size i wanted.
            The saddles are usually lower in height on low E and high E than they would be on B and A......So that would not necessarily be a problem.......If you sight the bridge saddles, do they form a nice heaping form across the bridge? Also, see if high E and low E saddles are the same hight....They should be...........

Lastly, did you check for the 3 issues that I was suspecting?

Comment

Well i dont suspect the neck to be twisted in the slightest way.

I dont really understand all the bridge and floyd talk. All i can say is that when the e is strung, it almost touches the pick up. I think the high e saddle is slightly lower then the low e, but i cant seem to heighten the high e saddle, because theres no place for a screw driver or anything.

Ill probably take it to the music shop tomorrow, even though i got no cash to pay for repairs because ive been already buying shit for it

Comment

Well i dont suspect the neck to be twisted in the slightest way.

I dont really understand all the bridge and floyd talk. All i can say is that when the e is strung, it almost touches the pick up. I think the high e saddle is slightly lower then the low e, but i cant seem to heighten the high e saddle, because theres no place for a screw driver or anything.

Ill probably take it to the music shop tomorrow, even though i got no cash to pay for repairs because ive been already buying shit for it
                Did you buy it used? You may want to return it to the place of purchase...........

Floyd saddle heights are ordinarily not adjusted individually. The entire bridge is raised or lowered by turning the two pivot screws.

Comment

You need to turn this allen screw counterclockwise

Or lower the pickup.

Simplest solutions...based on limited info.
                  sigpic

Comment

Turn the other screw (circled in red) counterclockwise, to lower the pickup.

sigpic

Comment

And yes, the E saddle is supposed to be lower.

Also...alot of people think they are breaking the high e string, when really it is just slipping out of the saddle.

Make sure the string is fully inserted AND centered before locking it into the saddle.
                      Last edited by S-man; 12-27-2007, 09:10 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S-man View Post
                        Turn the other screw (circled in red) counterclockwise, to lower the pickup.

Great visual aids S-man

Comment

oops.
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

my guitar aint like your pics, the bridge is a non-cool bridge.

Even if the high e bridge is suppose to be lower that dosnt explain why the string is so close to the pickups.

Comment

have you tried raising the bridge, or lowering the pickup, as suggested above?

If the high E is lower than the low E, it could be that the original high saddle has been replaced with an incorrect one. Both saddles should be the same height. Best way to tell is take them off the guitar and sit them side-by-side on a flat surface
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X