Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing advice?

Hello all,
    I'm in the midst of doing a Charvel restoration/replica (had an old Charvel replacement neck on a body I hated, finally broke down and got a Musikraft body for it), and had planned on having GMW do the finish. Anyway, I just found out from Lee that he is no longer doing outside work/refin's and whatnot as of the first of the year. So now I'm ready to go parts-wise, and have NO clue where to get it finished now...Does anyone know of a shop that does finishes of the same caliber? I'm looking to do a bolted steel motif...

This baby looks too nice to krylon...

I don't have any suggestions. I would love to hear some answers for options in L.A. though. I wonder if Dan would do it on his own outside of GMW.

Comment

Dude: Run, don't walk to Mithc at Meanstreet guitars!

http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/
      There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

www.learnguitars.com
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

MM2002 a member here, might do it his work is top notch.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            Wow, I had no idea you did outside work. Email and photo coming your way!

Comment

Get 'er done.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                Wow, I had no idea you did outside work.
                Me neither! Noted.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Mike Learn is a nice choice and will do it right. Your picture is very blurry but the body looks like a nice piece of Swamp Ash from what I can tell. It would look great with a trans finish but I see you are going for a graphic.

Comment

"Stoked" does not begin to cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                      Hello all,
                      I'm in the midst of doing a Charvel restoration/replica (had an old Charvel replacement neck on a body I hated, finally broke down and got a Musikraft body for it), and had planned on having GMW do the finish. Anyway, I just found out from Lee that he is no longer doing outside work/refin's and whatnot as of the first of the year. So now I'm ready to go parts-wise, and have NO clue where to get it finished now...Does anyone know of a shop that does finishes of the same caliber? I'm looking to do a bolted steel motif...

This baby looks too nice to krylon...
                      LOL! I'm planning to build exactly the same guitar! Is that a push-push pot? Because I'm thinking of using one. It's a nice piece of Swamp Ash. Oil it perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
                        LOL! I'm planning to build exactly the same guitar! Is that a push-push pot? Because I'm thinking of using one. It's a nice piece of Swamp Ash. Oil it perhaps?
                        Thanks. It will be a push-pot indeed. Setting the Duncan Custom-Custom that's going in it up to split to single-coil. There will be a mini-switch actually as the pickup selector. I know, I'm a weirdo.

I would consider clearing it or oiling it or whatever, but
                        A) I'm kind of doing a (not exact, I want Mike to kinda er...'enhance' the old concept, and am sure he can/will ) 'replica' of an old guitar, and
                        B) I already have a clear-coated (Koa, and like the Ash one, 1 piece) guitar...

Sorry, my camera in my phone sucks..
                        Last edited by jhale667; 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I have never done a bolted steel but mainly do bullseyes and Demartini guitars.Id try it yourself get a Brute 10 gallon compressor and a Sharpe Finex gun w a moisture trap.Experiment on scrap then try it on the guitar.The grain looks nice though have you thought of maybe a tounge oil finish to make it pop?You can clear it with urethane and it will look amazing.Or use a dark stain,sand it down and stain it w an amber.You will have nice detailed grain with a warm amber finish.

Comment

+1 on that grain is too pretty to hide!
                            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                            X