Routing / Mounting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing / Mounting Question

I would like to assemble a guitar from scratch, but have a few questions, both in reference to the following pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ntage_rails_s/

Also, the guitar will be Strat-style, but rear routed, so no pickguard.

1) As you can see, it doesn't have the extra "tab" on the long edge of the pickup; so when ordering a body from Warmoth, what kind of a route do I get? An EMG-style route, or a wide-single coil route?

2) How do these pickups mount into the wood? Assuming they are designed to mount from the bottom-up into a pickguard? Jist screw down through the mount holes into the wood?

I'm a bit of a neophyte at this, and its issues like this that remind me why I've never done it before.

Thanks,

- Eric
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
    I would like to assemble a guitar from scratch, but have a few questions, both in reference to the following pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ntage_rails_s/

Also, the guitar will be Strat-style, but rear routed, so no pickguard.

1) As you can see, it doesn't have the extra "tab" on the long edge of the pickup; so when ordering a body from Warmoth, what kind of a route do I get? An EMG-style route, or a wide-single coil route?

2) How do these pickups mount into the wood? Assuming they are designed to mount from the bottom-up into a pickguard? Jist screw down through the mount holes into the wood?

I'm a bit of a neophyte at this, and its issues like this that remind me why I've never done it before.

Thanks,

- Eric
    1. EMG Rout :Edit: I should clarify that you should check with Warmoth to see if the hole for the wiring goes out the center. It should. If not, you can drill the hole yourself with a aircraft drill bit, 5/32-3/16" in diameter. They are 12-18" long so you can get the angle needed. I have done many of these and eliminates the "tongue" showing in the rout when using these type of single coils.
    2. Use some small #4 screws, either, the 1/2", 9/16" or 3/4" oxide black variety. The smaller screws will allow you to solid mount without getting in the way of the threads on these pickups. When mounting to the bottom of the cavity, plastic washers or some foam (borrowed from the Duncan box) cut to fit can be used adjusting height of the pickup.
    Last edited by Bengal65; 12-22-2007, 08:01 PM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I wouldn't do an EMG route, since the cable comes out of the center. Unfortunately, you're going to be stuck with a wide route to accomodate the cable.

I believe those brass threaded inserts can be removed to work with direct-mount pointy screws.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with Newc. My only experience with the new "tabless" design Duncans was when I put the Hot Rails in my Model 6. That shielded 4-conductor lead will not make a sharp right-angle bend toward the hole at the bottom of the pickup cavity, and there is next to no extra space. I had to do about a 3/16" undercut with a Dremel tool to give the wire some space to make the bend. You can't see it with the pickup in place. That's an option you may want to try if you decide to go with the neat look of the EMG rout.

Comment

Working...
        X