Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP style toggle problem

I just can't figure this out.
    I have a 3 way Switchcraft LP style toggle switch. It has 3 contacts on one side. It has 2 on the other. The 3 contact side are:
    Left Bridge
    Center HOT
    Right Neck

The other 2 contacts on the other side are soldered together.

I wired the entire guitar up and it works great but when I touch the toggle switch metal it buzzes really loud. I took my meter out and found out that the center contact has continuity with the entire switch assembly.
    In the book they tell you to ground the switch but there is no where to ground it to.

WTF???

They usually have 4 on one end and a lug on the other. Try grounding the two soldered together to the back of the vol pot.
    Is your tone pot grounded to the vol pot?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm usually too lazy to think about the circuits and just start grounding everything that isn't a "hot" lead.

Is it a new switch?

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        They usually have 4 on one end and a lug on the other. Try grounding the two soldered together to the back of the vol pot.
        Is your tone pot grounded to the vol pot?
        Didn't work. There is nowhere on this switch that isn't common with the middle hot lead except for the 2 terminals on either side of it.

yes... I have 2 volumes only. They are both grounded to the tailstop.

Comment

The two soldered in the back should be the grounds, and the center on the 3-prong side is so you get both pickups at once.

Run a ground from the 2 in the back, and make sure it isn't contacting the entire assembly or any of the other metal plates between the wafers.

If it's an off-brand, you may be missing some divider wafers.

It should be constructed thusly:

Outer bracket
          Wafer
          Pickup prong
          Wafer
          Ground prong (going out the back)
          Wafer
          Center piece (part of the main body of the switch)
          Wafer
          Ground Prong (going out the back and soldered to the other ground prong)
          Wafer
          Pickup prong
          Wafer
          Outer bracket

Some models will have 4 pickup prongs, but the center piece (part of the body) is the ground, and you solder the two inside prongs together to get both pickups, while the outer prongs are the individual pickups.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            The two soldered in the back should be the grounds, and the center on the 3-prong side is so you get both pickups at once.

Run a ground from the 2 in the back, and make sure it isn't contacting the entire assembly or any of the other metal plates between the wafers.

If it's an off-brand, you may be missing some divider wafers.

It should be constructed thusly:

Outer bracket
            Wafer
            Pickup prong
            Wafer
            Ground prong (going out the back)
            Wafer
            Center piece (part of the main body of the switch)
            Wafer
            Ground Prong (going out the back and soldered to the other ground prong)
            Wafer
            Pickup prong
            Wafer
            Outer bracket

Some models will have 4 pickup prongs, but the center piece (part of the body) is the ground, and you solder the two inside prongs together to get both pickups, while the outer prongs are the individual pickups.
            I did it and it worked perfect. Thanks Newc!

Comment

Working...
            X