Good idea to cut down a Charvel heel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea to cut down a Charvel heel?

OK this is a slightly different heel size thread (hey at least it's not another DR3 thread :ROTF.

I know it's probably possible to cut down a Charvel model series 1 1/4" heel to fit a 1 3/16" neck pocket, but has anyone done this? How is the look and feel? Is it possible to do cleanly without being an ugly hack?

Also: the neck screw locations are not an issue, because the neck hasn't been drilled yet (it would be an aftermarket neck)

Comment

In general, it's never a good idea to mess with altering the heel of a neck, I would widen the neck pocket of the body first, provided you have a bit of router experience...

That being said, I would look for a body that matches the neck you are looking to use instead. Not the answer you are looking for, I know, but I'm just trying to save you some heartache!
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Yeah you're probably right. I think I'm just going to try to get a refund for that body and scrap the whole project. I've got a few other projects in the works that will keep me busy anyways.

Comment

i've done it, it's not a huge deal; basically you need to take 1/32" off of each side of the neck heel. you can sand it down if you're really dead set on marrying that neck to that body.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
          X