Strings resonating behind nut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings resonating behind nut...

My new Carvin DC127 resonates behind the nut whenever I play anything and it comes through the amp... What do you guys normally use to dampen the strings behind the nut without making the guitar look stupid as hell?

just put some foam behind the nut to kill all the vibrations (mute the floyd springs as well if you have one)

Comment

Locking nut or standard nut? In either case, what kind?

Most of my electrics have locking nuts & never had that problem.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Standard graphite Carvin nut, I've narrowed it down to just the low E that's causing the trouble... I'm thinking I might go pick up one of those little rubber pick holders that goes on the strings behind the head stock, should do the trick hopefully!

Comment

This is the thing I'm talking about...
          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...der?sku=429040

Comment

My reverse headstock Carvin SC90 does that, too. I put a little piece of foam under the strings that came in an EMG pickup box.

Christian Olde Wolbers from Fear Factory does the same thing on his 7-string Jacksons. Seems it's more common with the extra length of the low string resonating from a reverse headstock.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              My reverse headstock Carvin SC90 does that, too. I put a little piece of foam under the strings that came in an EMG pickup box.

Christian Olde Wolbers from Fear Factory does the same thing on his 7-string Jacksons. Seems it's more common with the extra length of the low string resonating from a reverse headstock.
              Awesome, thanks for the info man!

Comment

You're welcome. It seems even worse if you happen to tune down. I know Dimebag also used the foam behind the nut on some of his Floyded guitars.

Comment

I just tried the foam thing and it didn't quite cut it, it helped but it's still there... I used foam from a Seymour Duncan box though haha, maybe the EMG stuff is a little more dense... Man that stuff was tricky to try and cut clean! Haha...

Comment

I've got a thin piece of foam, and it works fine. Maybe try to find some a little thicker. Or even try a rubber band or hair tie for a quick solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X