help with stompboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with stompboxes

Hey guys, i've been tinkering around with setting up an ibanez chorus/flanger pedal into my 5150 half stack and am getting bad results. I've tried plugging my guitar straight into the amp then sending a cable f rom "effects out" into the "in" of the stomp box and then a cable from the "out" of the stompbox into the "effects in". The pedal works, but i get a massive ton drain and the signal is all fuzzy and crackly. Its really annoying how i can't figure something so basic as stompbox setup but i'd really appreciate any help with this so i can get my moneys worth on these pedals.

Effects loops can be tricky - I don't know anything about the 5150 loop in particular so the best I can do is say make sure you have the levels right. There's "instrument level" and "line level" which I believe correspond to +4db and -10db or the other way around. There are also "series" and "parallel" loops - I don't know which the 5150 uses.

Also if you're using a 9V battery make sure it's not dead/dying.

Comment

Check your cables too.
      Scott

Comment

What if you plug the pedal in front of the amp and set the amp to clean tone? Same result == sounds like a dead battery to me.

Batteries are the most dramatic objects. Other things stop working, or they break.... but batteries, .... they die.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I had one of those Ibanez chorus/flanger pedals years back when they first came out... it sounded like ass both in front of the amp and in the loop!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The 5150 has a very friendly effects loop and it loves pedals. My guess is you have one of the following problems

bad cables
            bad battery
            or there is something wrong with your pedal.
            Some pedals are really tone suckers and they will really drain the sparkle out of an amp, especially combination pedals. Try a different pedal and see what happens.

Comment

I've got the same pedal. Its a battery whore. It will drain in no time. Also make sure you don't have the pedal set to anything weird, if I remember right there are a few strange things that pedal can do.

Comment

Working...
              X