Time for a humbucker-change..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a humbucker-change..

Well, I swapped the original 496/500-set in my Gibson Explorer with a Duncan JB/jazz-set, but I found it to be somewhat lacking soundwise.. The Duncans have way more bite to them in my RR1, so I was kinda dissapointed..
    I'm thinking about ditching the Duncans in the Explorer, and putting in the EMG 81/85-set I have in my model 3..
    Am I right when thinking that the JB is not that good for a Mahogany guitar?

What passive humbucker works good for hard rock/metal in mahogany guitars, being either an Explorer or a Les paul?

Any input is appreciated!!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

SD Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion

Comment

Firstly, define what you think is missing from your sound. Too much bass? not enough mid? Low output? Whatever it is you're missing, choose a pickups that will compensate that. I'd say check the tone charts on the manufacturers website and go from there.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Dimarzio makes great products, the Dimarzio X2N is amazing, and so is the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

What kind of rock or metal are you playing? The X2N is more on the death metal/shred side.
        Originally posted by horns666
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
          Dimarzio makes great products, the Dimarzio X2N is amazing, and so is the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

What kind of rock or metal are you playing? The X2N is more on the death metal/shred side.

Shameless plug: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

I had an dimarzio evo/air norton in a schecter plus that I thought sounded great.

Comment

+1 for the X2N - I tried a guitar with it the other day and it blew me away.

BTW; why swap the Gibson 500T? It's loud as ****!
              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
                Well, I swapped the original 496/500-set in my Gibson Explorer with a Duncan JB/jazz-set, but I found it to be somewhat lacking soundwise.. The Duncans have way more bite to them in my RR1, so I was kinda dissapointed..
                I'm thinking about ditching the Duncans in the Explorer, and putting in the EMG 81/85-set I have in my model 3..
                Am I right when thinking that the JB is not that good for a Mahogany guitar?

What passive humbucker works good for hard rock/metal in mahogany guitars, being either an Explorer or a Les paul?

Any input is appreciated!!

dude, i felt the exact same way about my Flying V. Gibson's using these 300k pots that just kinda blanket the tone with dullness. at least to my heavy metal ears, anyway. i don't understand why they're using 300k pots with there humbuckers when the major pup mfg's like Duncan and Dimarzio recomend 500k pots. so i switched out the pots with this RS Guitarworks upgrade kit. now it smokes with tone off the stock 496R/500T pickup combo. i'm actually really liking the tone of these pups. but you're not gonna hear 'em with the stock pots.

your RR1 has 500k pots. thats why you found both the Gibson and Duncan pups dissapointing in that guitar. change your pots to 500k and you'll love both passive pickup combos in that explorer and won't feel the need to go with EMG's.
                Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm using 250k pots with my DiMarzio PAF Pro / HS-3 combination in my Warmoth and they sound great even for metal tones. Though I guess trying some 500k pots is a lot cheaper than new pickups.

Comment

USe a Duncan Custom for the bridge position. I have Customs in several mahogany guitars and it sounds awesome.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
                      Eh, I'm not sure the X2N would satisfy your bands style. But if you want a over the top amazing chugging/lead pickup, the X2N is the way to go.

Your bands pretty solid btw.
                      Originally posted by horns666
                      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        dude, i felt the exact same way about my Flying V. Gibson's using these 300k pots that just kinda blanket the tone with dullness. at least to my heavy metal ears, anyway. i don't understand why they're using 300k pots with there humbuckers when the major pup mfg's like Duncan and Dimarzio recomend 500k pots. so i switched out the pots with this RS Guitarworks upgrade kit. now it smokes with tone off the stock 496R/500T pickup combo. i'm actually really liking the tone of these pups. but you're not gonna hear 'em with the stock pots.

your RR1 has 500k pots. thats why you found both the Gibson and Duncan pups dissapointing in that guitar. change your pots to 500k and you'll love both passive pickup combos in that explorer and won't feel the need to go with EMG's.
                        I'm fairly sure that the pots weren't changed, I'm gonna have to look into this!
                        I really, really dig the sound of my RR1, and I was hoping to get somewhat the same in the Explorer..

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                          Eh, I'm not sure the X2N would satisfy your bands style. But if you want a over the top amazing chugging/lead pickup, the X2N is the way to go.

Your bands pretty solid btw.
                          Thanks for your kind words man - we really appreciate it!!

Comment

Working...
                          X