No announcement yet.

Loosen truss rod when shipping guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosen truss rod when shipping guitars?

OK I've seen a few eGay sellers talking about loosening the truss rod and/or removing strings prior to shipping. This seems retarded to me, I've always shipped guitars with strings and tuned to pitch.
    Do nothing jackass: leave strings on and leave it tuned up
    63.64%
    Remove or detune the strings
    36.36%
    Remove the strings and loosen the truss rod
    0.00%

I would just detune the strings. It seem that loosening the truss would
    cause some customer satisfaction issues when they go to tune it up, and think the neck is messed up on their purchase.
    "Hey what's wrong with this thing! I got screwed!"

Comment

Detune the strings to slack but don't touch the truss rod. Let the buyer adjust it when they get it if it needs it.

Gibson sent me a Kramer Jersey Star last winter and I got it in -35c weather fully tuned up and locked. I was surprised that it didn't need any adjustment.
      Last edited by thez0r; 12-14-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

So why loosen the strings? Seems like that would let the neck sit there back-bowed.

Comment

IMO, it doesn't really matter whether you detune the strings or not.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The first time I flew with a guitar, I didn't do anything, and the high E broke. Since then I detune a full step, but don't mess with the truss rod.
            EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

My thinking is that if the strings are slightly looser, it would take some pressure off the neck, and if it gets smacked around in transit, this would be a good thing, since strung up to pitch there's already 80 - 90 lbs of tension there.

Comment

I'm wondering now if some sellers are spinning the fact that their guitar is totally out of whack, and they have no clue how to do a setup.

Comment

Every guitar I've bought have arrived either in tune or with just barely loosened strings. Never any problems.

Comment

It seems like there are expert opinions on both sides of this issue, that's why I thought a poll would be interesting (kind of like wet sanding...)

Comment

Dan, the man wrote this article years ago. I pretty much follow what the "Master" practices. No problems so far.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/dano/packing.html
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I pretty much follow Dan's packing instructions already. Never had a problem. I detune the strings, but I don't see any reason to mess with the truss rod.

Comment

How would you sell that to a buyer. Guitar has great action but I am going to f*ck it up so it is less likely to get damaged in shipping then you can spend more money getting it set up right. I would be wondering if the guitar actually has a busted trus rod or the neck is warped.
                          pack it right and there shouldn't be any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            So why loosen the strings? Seems like that would let the neck sit there back-bowed.
                            It takes more than a few days for wood to settle into a back-bow, especially if it's spent considerable time (months) being pulled straight.

Loosening the strings is for the benefit of the strings, and really mostly applies to acoustics since they are more prone to flexing from atmospheric pressure changes than electric solidbodies.

Aside from that, any time a guitar is moved from one climate to another (Maine to Florida) you're going to have to adjust the rod within the week anyway, so you may as well leave the rod alone and ship it.

However, if it's a Gibson or Jackson with a tilted headstock, and the case does not fully support the neck, keeping the head from touching the case even with the hardest bounce, the strings (at least between the locking nut and tuners for a tremmed guitar) should be loosened.

I've received guitars that were shipped with strings tight and loose, and whenever there was damage, it was either from the shipping company mishandling the item, a design flaw, or the case not having enough neck support (Custom Shop Archtop SL dropped on its nose in shipping, which goes back to the case not being able to prevent the guitar from moving, 85 Soloist with rear-mounted Floyd nut - busted right at the mounting screws, 1990 Warrior Pro cases did not have enough padding or neck support, causing the head to split in half)
                            Last edited by Newc; 12-15-2007, 08:06 AM.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                            X