Loose Post Inserts in Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Post Inserts in Body

This is a new one I haven't run across with guitars yet. Ok, I know this has come up before. I recently got a used JEM7VWH ('97) and started doing maintainence to trem. (Damn Basswood or it maybe Alder! ) I think it's Alder from what I can find. Anyway, the stud post insert is rocking back and forth on the low "E" side post insert in the body. I saw Pete's (Twisteramps) sticky on repairing these. He suggested pulling them and gluing them in with wood glue. Is this the best way? Or do I need to have these plugged and re-drilled? It's not rocking a huge amount, but probably a few thousandth's each way. Enough to through off tuning.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Take some plumber's PTFE teflon tape and wrap it around the posts. That'll keep them from wobbling.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

he's talking about the bushing itself being loose in the hole it was originally drilled for, not the post being loose in its bushing. at least that's what i got from it. btw, love the teflon tape.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

VWH's are alder...

I had that happen with a basswood Ibanez. I tried the glue but it didn't hold for very long. You really need to get it filled and re-drilled to make it stable again...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          he's talking about the bushing itself being loose in the hole it was originally drilled for, not the post being loose in its bushing. at least that's what i got from it. btw, love the teflon tape.
          Ah, if that's the case, my bad.

I know a lot of guitars seem to have wobbly posts when you take the trems off, and the teflon tape keeps them from moving.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bengal65,
            Before you go to the trouble of plug and redrill try this.
            Get some 3M Devcon steel epoxy.
            Remove the insert in the body.
            Mix the epoxy as recomended and with a tooth pick or small screwdriver coat the inside of the hole were the insert goes into the body but only in the area that the insert will go.
            Then do the same with the bushing on the outside(becareful not to get any on the threads).
            Note: make shure you have the stud installed in the insert as you will now need to tap the insert with a small nylon hammer into the body.
            The setup time is long enough to clean up the body and insert/stud before it is hard let it sit 24h for a good cure.
            Make sure the stud is aligned properly.
            I also fixed my Jackson with this method.
            I have repaired threads in steel over the years with this stuff it is amazing.
            Just my 2 cents but it does work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson/Charvelfan View Post
              Bengal65,
              Before you go to the trouble of plug and redrill try this.
              Get some 3M Devcon steel epoxy.
              Remove the insert in the body.
              Mix the epoxy as recomended and with a tooth pick or small screwdriver coat the inside of the hole were the insert goes into the body but only in the area that the insert will go.
              Then do the same with the bushing on the outside(becareful not to get any on the threads).
              Note: make shure you have the stud installed in the insert as you will now need to tap the insert with a small nylon hammer into the body.
              The setup time is long enough to clean up the body and insert/stud before it is hard let it sit 24h for a good cure.
              Make sure the stud is aligned properly.
              I also fixed my Jackson with this method.
              I have repaired threads in steel over the years with this stuff it is amazing.
              Just my 2 cents but it does work well.
              Ah, thanks guy's and Charvelfan. I was actually thinking of this method on the way home. (I had to show my face at the company Christmas party. I darted out to come home to JCF:ROTF: ) I'm a materials engineer and was actually thinking this metal epoxy, Yea Metal, go metal, is the most stable. I'm going to go with it. With the worst case I'll rebore and plug down the road. I'm not a real Whammy abuser so this repair may last for years. Is JB Weld the same.? I believe so. I have JB Weld in economical 1 pint cans. Good for rebuilding leaky radiators:ROTF:
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

JB is not as good of an epoxy.
                Good for radiators but not guitars.
                Alot of mold makers use this stuff.
                I was a gunsmith and this is what we used to bed stocks with.
                Here is brownells websight that sells it the cheapest I have found.
                http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...EPOXY%20METALS

When I got my Jackson the bushings were really loose and after I did this no more problems.

Look at this pick at the bushings. Yes they are really in there.

I will post the after photo tomorrow.

Comment

Very cool! Wow you learn something everyday! Thanks for the link. Maybe that's what they used to bed my M1 Garand years ago for match rifle competition. It shot real nice groups at 1000 yards (Ft. Hood, TX) Been years since I shot there though. Probably can't hit the broad side of a barn now Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X