The Greatest Tuner Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Tuner Ever

My old tuner died on me at rehearsal the other night so I went out and bought a Peterson Strobo-Stomp yesterday. All I can say is that I'm utterly amazed at how awesome it is. I hadn't used a strobe tuner since high school (my school had one in the band room) but its accuracy was lost on me back then.

I can't remember ever hearing my guitars so "in tune"...I'm in awe. Not only does it do standard tuning, but it has "sweetner" settings that actually make your instrument sound more in tune across the entire fretboard...very cool and effective.

I've owned a Tom Anderson with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System for about 10 years now and I've always tuned it up normally. The Strobo-Stomp has built it "sweeteners" for the Feiten tuning offsets...I can't believe that I went this long without taking advantage of what the BF system offers. I have never heard a guitar sound as in tune in all positions as this one...amazing!

If you've never used a strobe before, it can be a bit tricky at first as they are much more sensitive than even high end standard tuners. It took me about 1/2 hour to get used to it and I was then tuning everything in site...you should hear my microwave purr now

If you're in the market for a tuner, try one of these out. You'll never understand how you lived without one.

I have one too, great for setting up your intonation too.

Comment

Peterson tuners are awesome, I have a VS-1, a Strobostomp and a StroboFlip.

Note that both the Strobostomp and Strobostomp2 have Buzz Feiten electric guitar tuning 'preset', but this is for open string use only, not for intonation.

This topic from Peterson forum explains how to program the Strobostomps with the Buzz offsets for use when you intonate your guitar:
      http://www.petersontuners.com/forum/...p?TOPIC_ID=550

FYI, the StroboFlip has a preset already for the Buzz electric guitar intonation (in addition to the open string preset), so that's handier, but the Flip version isn't as useful as an on-stage 'stomp box' tuner like the Strobostomp.

Comment

thanks......ohhhh SANTA.
        for just standard tuning up & intonation setups is the strobostomp or stroboflip any different?

Comment

I think they are the same internally...just different casings for different applications.

Thanks for the tip MountainDog...great to know!

Comment

Certainly a nice tuner. I have stuck my my Boss TU-2 and TU-12 for seems like forever.

Comment

I snagged a VS-II from the bay and started tweaking the intonation on my axes a few months ago. Definitely a great tool.

Comment

Guys,

Is there a trick (besides turning down the volume, turning the tone control full off, plucking the string with your finger (not pick) - none of which work for me) to get the strobe screen from being so jumpy? I love my Strobo-Flip, but it makes my crazy trying to tune up when the screen won't stabilize. This happens on all 12 of my guitars, and I actually returned 2 Strobo-Flips thinking *they* might be defective.
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

You mean I don't have to use my Pitch Fork anymore?

Yeah, they are great. I bought my Strobo Stomp as soon as they hit the market. Glad your up and running.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
                    Guys,

Is there a trick (besides turning down the volume, turning the tone control full off, plucking the string with your finger (not pick) - none of which work for me) to get the strobe screen from being so jumpy? I love my Strobo-Flip, but it makes my crazy trying to tune up when the screen won't stabilize. This happens on all 12 of my guitars, and I actually returned 2 Strobo-Flips thinking *they* might be defective.
                    Use the neck pickup?

Turn the flanger off? Sorry.

Comment

[QUOTE=

I can't remember ever hearing my guitars so "in tune"...I'm in awe. Not only does it do standard tuning, but it has "sweetner" settings that actually make your instrument sound more in tune across the entire fretboard...very cool and effective.

[/QUOTE]

Does that temper the forths? As you might know, but alot of people don't, the forths, E to A, A to D etc can't be perfect (beatless) because it won't add up to perfect octaves!

Comment

That's what the "sweetners" are all about. I had a gig Friday night and our other guitar player commented on never hearing his guitar sound so in tune after using this thing. Theoretically "perfect" tuning is impossible but this thing sure fools the ear. I'm still amazed by how much better my guitars sound now (especially the Anderson).

SweetPete...sounds like you don't have very accurate tuners or you are a bit heavy handed in using them. You are doing everything else correctly. It took me a while to get the hang of this thing but I have little trouble with it now. Perhaps try new strings...I noticed that this thing doesn't get along well with older crappy strings.

Comment

>> Use the neck pickup?

Ok, that works a little better.

>> Turn the flanger off? Sorry.

What? You mean I have to unplug my Rack of Doom before tuning? It's probably those 4 chorus FX that make my 6 string sound like a 24 string
                          "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Strobe tuners are awesome. We used one when recording once, and I've never heard a guitar so in tune all over the fretboard. If they didn't cost as much as my car, I'd get one for myself...
                            - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I have a Peterson VS-1, and the difference it made in setting up the intonation on my guitars was incredible. I guess the newest version of this model is the V-SAM. Highly recommended.

Two more great tuners:

BOSS TU-2: Reasonably priced unit that works well for guitar and bass and will take a beating.

KORG DT-7: Buzz Feiten tuning built-in and all-around solid tuner.
                              GM,
                              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                              X