Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF! How hard should it be to find a locking nut for an early `90s Professional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF! How hard should it be to find a locking nut for an early `90s Professional?

A few months ago, I bought a used DR3 Professional that had the locking nut but was missing the clamps. I had to buy new clamps and have someone grind them down to fit the nut. Well, I decided I wanted an earlier neck from a Dinky RVS because it had real MOP sharkfins instead of MOTO. Even though the necks are the same shape, the DR3 locking nut was too tall for the RVS neck, so my local Jackson repair shop routed the neck slightly to accommodate the nut. Lo and behold, the nut is binding on the high E and snapping strings. So I have one neck with no locking nut, and one that needs a new nut, and of course it can't just be a nice off-the-shelf Floyd nut. Of course not!

The tech said that an R8 nut will fit. Hell, I didn't even know there was such a thing. But where the hell do all the locking nuts go from these used Jacksons? Is there a big demand for them on the black market? Sheesh.

/rant off
    sigpic

Yeah. That has busted my nuts. The parts don't interchange. It's a whole nut or pray that you have a guitar for parts. And that goes for Floyd parts.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

This is the biggest pitfall of "licensed" hardware - two different industry standards that are incompatible.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's funny, I just started looking for a nut for my MIJ PS4 which might be the same.

I checked fretsonthenet, which I think is a guy here and he didn't have one.

If I find one, I'll...keep it for myself, If I find two, I'll let you know!!!!!

I believe they are a metric measurement as opposed to inches. It might be the R43 mentioned here, but I'm just trying to figure it out my self! This thread has some good info:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744205
        Last edited by tanpsi; 12-15-2007, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Hey Inazone check the locking pad for the E you may need to round the edge a little.If there is a sharp edge it will cut the string when you clamp it down.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Would it be very difficult to just make an original floyd nut work?

Comment

Working...
            X