Truss rod/tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod/tuning

Well, I am going to buy a string-thru for x-mas(likely a dk2t) and I will be likely using this for E,drop d, c, and drop c tunings.

Say, I set the truss rod for D tuning, it will allow the neck to not change as much in form (relief), when changing tuning, as much as if I had it in E or C tuning(truss rod adjustment). Would I have any serious problems in damaging the neck by changing tuning a lot? (Back and forth every few days to a week)

Would you advise to keep the guitar in D tuning as much as possible (play in C or E then tune to D before I put the guitar away), or does it matter that much?

I'm hoping to keep this guitar for a while, and I just don't want to f*ck it up.
    :P

btw, would you advise changing the rod in 1/8 turns (only one at a time then observe a day later, of course)? I never done it before, but I take it if the increments are small, it won't damage the guitar, from what I read. I also know if the rod is hard to turn, to turn it the other way slightly, then try again. If shit happens after that, I'll leave it alone and get another person to do it...just so you guys know. I might as well start somewhere.

(sorry if this post sucks grammatically, its a 3 AM post :P )
    Last edited by JACKS0NESP; 12-09-2007, 01:41 AM.

Huh? People wonder why there are so many screwed up guitars. You dont adjust the truss rod for tuning people! The point of it is for when your neck starts to bend you adjust it. You adjust your bridge height and maybe intonation for alt tunings, not your trussrod!

Comment

From what I heard, string tension(tuning) has an effect on neck relief. Am I wrong?

The tunings I will be using differ a lot on string tension.

Comment

It shouldn't be enough of a difference to start tweaking the
        truss rod. CR covered what it should need.

Comment

Now if you string it up with 13-56s and tune to A-440 there will be problems.
          down tuned with heavy strings should be no problem.
          When you get the guitar it will be strung with 9s so when you tune down to pitch keep an eye on the relief you may not need to do much to it.
          If you go with heavier strings you may need to tweak the truss rod a little. Small increments is the rule.
          Just remember you start changing things and tweaking you will need to do a completely new set up.
          Last edited by straycat; 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            It shouldn't be enough of a difference to start tweaking the truss rod

This is all I need(not saying I read the others, too!)...thanks.

Yeah, I'm sticking with 9-42's, I did go with 10's once...and obviously knew I needed a truss rod change(as I knew I would stick with then for a while, I thought why not..), then I went back to the 9's.

Tuning in D, then adjusting the truss rod to that(if it needs to be) sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Using to many tunings on one guitar is asking for trouble. Intonation will be a real problem, guitars are not made to be tuned to all these low tunings.The scale isn't right and will sound out of tune.

Comment

I use separate guitars for different tunings.9s seem too slinky when down a whole step 10s do fine.
                I would have to think changing tunings from week to week on the same guitar may have some effect on the necks stability.I may be wrong never saw the need.
                Last edited by straycat; 12-09-2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Same here. I keep my floyd's at standard, the Hamer Phantom and the bich go from drop D to open G, depending on what I'm playing. Both are considered non-trem, even though the Hamer has a vintage style trem. The mini bich is a les paul TOM.

Comment

I keep my DKMG at E flat and floyd guitars at standard.I do have my fusion H-H at drop D.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                      Using to many tunings on one guitar is asking for trouble. Intonation will be a real problem, guitars are not made to be tuned to all these low tunings.The scale isn't right and will sound out of tune.
                      I possibly could keep C and drop c out of the question, then.

Comment

I'd say no good can come from cranking on your truss rod every day.

Comment

Few notes...

1) if you have a really low action, then changes in relief caused by different tunings WILL require a truss rod tweak. If you keep a medium to high action, not so much.

2) Intonation is going to be a little bit of a pain. You're better off with dedicated guitars for different tunings, unless it's a minor change like dropping an E string down a whole step.

3) I'd rather buy a guitar that had the truss rod adjusted a bit in either direction every day or few days than one that hadn't been touched ever and was rusted to the threads.

Pete

Comment

Axe, I won't be. Just changing tuning..

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            Few notes...

1) if you have a really low action, then changes in relief caused by different tunings WILL require a truss rod tweak. If you keep a medium to high action, not so much.

Pete
                            How is this?

It looks like I will be using it for drop D or D tuning. I'll avoid C tunings all together, or as much as possible.

Comment

11's tuned to D maybe close in string tension to 9's in E. so no neck adjustment needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X